MIM vs Fender Original Pickups (62RI)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by richplaysbass, Jan 19, 2014.

1. richplaysbass

richplaysbass

New to posting, but have been getting tons of info from TB so thought i would try to add (if i am breaking etiquette sorry).

Found a real nice MIM fender p-bass, purchased same, then had the much thought out question...are the stock pickups "good enough?". what the heck, 70 bucks worth the test.

installed the "Fender ORIGINAL Pickup set" think this used to be called the 62 Reissue...cloth wire and all.

before doing the swap, made simple recording (hindsight should have done more playing to true style, and maybe through an amp) plugged in to a firewire logic interface. Here are some screen shots of the wave forms:

Screen Shot 2014-01-16 at 4.21.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-01-16 at 4.21.13 PM.jpg

Simply playing 8 beats open string on each string (first attachment is the e string, then a,d,g) ((i play a 4 string like all good hearted people)

all setting left exaclty the same on everything, tried to play simple even notes same way all times.

i have a sound clip that its not letting me upload at this time... will try to add that later.

waves show a difference, ears hear one to. the MIM are not bad at all... a little hotter actually - if you like that sound no need to change. the 62RI definitely more "even" tone, smoother sound.

I bought the MIM one as i loved the feel of the neck, needed a pure passive p-bass (needed?) and loved the color (like a white chrome). I have read to really give these a once over before purchase - did so - neck great, frets great, finish great, etc...

While inside i did repaint the cavity with that stew-mac shielding paint (the black paint it came with did not look thorough, and my elec meter confirmed it wasnt really done right.) I DID THE SHIELDING PAINT BEFORE I SWAPPED THE PICKUPS TO REMOVE THAT VARIABLE IN SOUND.

With everything all done, it is quiet as could be - no static, no hum, no buzz..... and really love it. There was a very slight buzz/hum before i shielded (with treble maxed, gain up) but that got gone.

Anywho - the pickup swap did (as i hoped and expected) change her sound a bit - "smoothed it out?" "less rough?" maybe best way to describe. the stock pups are nice and do cut through a mix if you like a little more edge. and they are a little hotter signal.

anybody have any experience swapping these out either the same or different? or with the MIM in general?
    :eyebrow:

2. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

There are several different models of Fender basses that are MIM, so to compare accurately, model (and sometimes year, etc) would help to be known ... so I would assume here that you are talking MIM Standard ... which would also explain the difference you are hearing ...

MIM Standards use ceramic magnet pickups, which by the nature (in this case) are generally a bit hotter, and brighter by design ...

The Fender ORIGINAL set, uses alnico magnets, probably alnico V ... which by there nature would be less 'edgy' or bright, and probably not seem as hot ...

Your findings are accurate, but some may say you just compared an apple to an orange ... ;)

3. Grissle

Grissle

Unless designed well Ceramic pickups tend to be a bit harsh in a non-pleasing way.

4. Isotonic

Isotonic Supporting Member

Interesting. Thanks.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. richplaysbass

richplaysbass

'twas the MIM standard.... and i was trying to compare apples and oranges and see how each tasted actually. had heard about the diff, wanted to check it out. i have heard some people swear changing certain things makes a difference, when it often doesnt....at least not to some peoples ears and eyes.. thought the wave forms would be an easy view of difference. ( my next will be to use that special power cord victor W endorses and see just how much extra "whatever" it gives to the sound.... (sarcasm))