1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Mineral Oil on DB Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by FeraligatrMcBum, Nov 19, 2013.

1. FeraligatrMcBum

FeraligatrMcBum

I've recently begun renting a double bass and was wondering if mineral oil was any good to use on the strings. The stuff i have is a rub on called 'ghs Fast Fret' - it says it's mineral oil but smells like lemon oil, and i use it for my electric bass and it works great, but i wasn't sure if it was alright to use for a Double.

Thanks in advance for the answers!
  2. bassist1962

bassist1962

Fast Fret or Finger Ease work on double bass as well. I have used both and had no problems. As with bass guitar you need to clean the board and body for overspray on occasion.
  3. eub_player

eub_player

Disclosures:
    Formerly known as Francois Blais...
    On the strings?
    I wouldn't do that, but other people may think otherwise.
  4. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Supporting Member

Use gut oil on gut strings- pirastro sells it it might actually.be mineral oil I have no idea.