1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Mini Bass is a Mystery Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pianolance, Feb 15, 2014.

1. pianolance

pianolance

Has anybody ever heard of a mini bass. It's a bass instrument that has a single tine that is plucked. The instrument is about the size of a box of wooden matches and has a single slider on it that changes the speaking length of the tine, thus changing the pitch. It has a plug for a guitar cord, and is made out of chrome and a bakelite type plastic. Looks like it was made in the 50's or 60's but I really have no idea. The bottom says Mini Bass, pat. pend, serial number is 159 and it comes in a little plastic case shaped like a guitar. It also has some other writing that I can't recall right at the moment. When played it roughly sounds like an upright bass. I picked it up at a pawn shop today for $20 and it's just so cool in a weird way. I'll post a picture of it later and give you the info on the rest of the writing on the bottom, but for now, anyone ever heard of something like this?
  2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Sounds very neat, looking forward to pics.
  3. bassteban

bassteban

Never heard of this, looking fwd to pics
  4. pianolance

pianolance

Here are the pics of this mini bass. You can't see in the photos but the serial number is 195. I'm new to this forum having been a bass player back in the 70's but since that time have been playing piano. I recently bought a Peavey Fury bass from a pawn shop and have really enjoyed getting back into some bass playing. Anyway, here's the pics. The thing is quite heavy for its size and seems to be very well engineered. I put it next to a pack of playing cards for scale. It's about 3.5 inches long.

https://plus.google.com/photos/101501955160136703348/albums/5980677806966421473
  5. Twocanbassman

Twocanbassman

Wow - that's different. Can you post a vid or sound clips?
  6. Epidrake

Epidrake

That is very cool. I hope you can post some sound clips.
  7. johnson79

johnson79

What on earth is a mini bass?
  8. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

Very funny thing.
  9. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Supporting Member

Looks like a toaster from the 1950s
  10. Stealth Fighter

Stealth Fighter

"Speedway Manufacturing Company Inc filed as a Domestic for Profit Corporation in the State of Florida and is no longer active. This corporate entity was filed approximately fifty-one years ago on Tuesday, October 08, 1963 as recorded in documents filed with Florida Department of State.

Key People

Carolyn Wood served as the President

The registered agent for the company is Sylvan A. Wells. Also known as a statutory or resident agent, the registered agent is responsible for receiving legal notifications regarding court summons, lawsuits, and other legal actions involving the corporate entity."
  11. onosson

onosson

Love to hear how it sounds.
  12. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I love it! Super neato.
  13. pianolance

pianolance

I'll see if I can get some sound clips. It's a very unique sound but somewhat similar to an upright bass. Sort of an upright bass meets rubber band sound. This thing weighs in at about 1lb 8oz which is very heavy for its size.
  14. flatfender

flatfender Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit Supporting Member

"Breathtaking. I shall call it... Mini-Bass".
  15. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Cool!
    It's a single-tine bass kalimba !
  16. pianolance

pianolance

Here is a very short sound clip of the Mini Bass. Keep in mind that I just got the instrument yesterday so I am not exactly a virtuoso, and this recording is just straight into the recorder with a guitar cable. There are no effects or processing of any kind. It's definitely a slippy, slidey fun kind of instrument to play. Accuracy seems to improve quickly when you practice.

http://pianolance.podomatic.com/entry/2014-02-15T11_14_09-08_00
  17. mongo2

mongo2

After hearing that, all I can think of is, "Plunk your magic twanger, Froggy." :D
  18. pianolance

pianolance

:bassist: Plunking -- Plunking!!!!
  19. macmanlou

macmanlou Don't push it. Just let it fall. Supporting Member

"Hiya, kids. Hiya, Hiya, Hiya." ;)
  20. wraub

wraub

I love how it sounds like a bass, but not like a bass. Definitely unique, and completely unfamiliar to me, which is surprising, 'cuz I am pretty old.

Cool score for sure.

So, you play it with the slider for (fretting) and the white protrusion for striking the note? Or am I way off here...?