1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Mini-controls?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by freatles, Jan 13, 2014.

1. freatles

freatles

Still drawing my first bass design, decided that the control knobs should be smaller than average. Part due to optimizing for weight, part due to
    the smaller-than-usual body size.

Does someone make half-size knobs for pots? I'm looking for something thats half size in diameter, with set screw/hex/something that will keep the pot fast

2. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

There's 3mm potentiometers and knobs available.

The selection is somewhat limited though.

Try Partco, they had some when I needed them, but that was quite a few years ago.
    Mr. Bebek used to have all sorts of oddities as well, but things may have changed there as well. Must be at least 10 years since I visited any of his stores.

Regards
    Sam

3. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Since you are designing the bass, why not spec split shaft pots and have some small diameter knobs made just for your bass?

That or really step out of the box and use digital controls with up/down rocker switches.

4. freatles

freatles

T-bird Thanks, checking out Partco is a good idea!

fhm555 Well you just gave me an idea as I started on thinking how would rockers work. Instantly got anti reaction - but, rotary digital encoders would be cool! was the idea that followed.

Then I thought - naw, you cant use digital rotary encoders with analog pre circuit.

Then Flashbulb-mode goes on in my brain: "So, maybe use a digital pre amp circuit. Add in Raspberry Pi or other full blown DSP circuit, and have preset memory and fully parametric EQ, noise gate, noise remover on board. Programmable via bluetooth. Cause this was supposed to be the next generation bass guitar." :smug:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fhm555

I'm a moron when it comes to current technology, but in addition to the above, if it's not already part of the package, why not build in a wireless TX for your signal so you would have a receiver you plug into an amp and an on/off switch on the bass. No cord to deal with.

7. Need Gigs

Need Gigs

And then save on battery use for what would surely be a battery guzzling circuit by powering it all with phantom power :p :D
    What about installing an LED that changes colour depending on how much battery you have left?
    EDIT or a digital display on the bass!
    If you want small knobs then split-shaft seems like the way to go.

8. freatles

freatles

fhm555 Crazy good idea, I incorporated that into my design! :cool:

NeedGigs - well split shaft certainly halves the number of knobs! Haven't quite found the perfect ones yet. Anyway, I like that color changing LED -battery indicator idea! Added! Thanks!

9. JustForSport

JustForSport

10. fhm555

You need to catch up on battery tech. LiPoly batteries weigh practically nothing compared to alkaline cells and a tiny lipo will run 20 times longer (or more) than the old 9V. They are also rechargeable so while you are designing the bass, design a stand that also acts as a charging cradle. Battery problems solved.

11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    I have some Sadowsky style mini knobs on my Lakland. They fit regular pot shaft sizes. The pots themselves are not mini. Not sure if that's what you're looking for or actual mini pots themslves?!

12. Need Gigs

Need Gigs

I feel like you might have missed the weak attempt in humour in my post :)
    The lipo batteries sound fascinating though, must look into those at some point.
    Anyway, sorry for the minor derail, carry on!
    Cheers

13. fhm555

No worries mate, I never take myself, or most anyone else for that matter, seriously.

14. freatles

freatles

Well mini-knobs, perhaps also mini control section.

The tek is kind of undecided, may be instead of pots (potentiometers) the design will utilize rotary encoders.