Mini Stacks: legitimate amps or gimmicks.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by pica, Feb 2, 2013.

1. pica

pica

Acoustic came out with the new 260 mkii mini stack and Ampeg has the VR micro mini stack. Are these just fancy practice amps or legitimate amps to gig with? Any thoughts?

2. One Drop

One Drop Supporting Member

Don't know the Acoustic but I'd gig with the Ampeg. Great sounding little rig. It all depends o how much stage volume you need or the size of the rooms, etc.

3. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

Both of them sound very nice. Attached to a larger cab, you could gig with them. In fact, if they have xlr direct outs (I'm not sure if they do), you could probably gig them as is, if you had PA support.

4. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Supporting Member

Cute for the practice room, but the Ampeg would be too quiet for all but the smallest gigs.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pica

pica

Excuse my ignorance but with these being only 100W, if you attached it to a larger cab, wouldn't you still be putting out 100W, that constant doesn't change (does it)?

7. dincz

dincz

You'd still be delivering 100W to the cabs but more of those watts will be converted into sound and fewer of them into heat. Same power + higher efficiency = more volume.

8. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

More speaker surface area = louder

9. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:

Fixed that for you.

10. 5 Wire

5 Wire

Exactly. Novelty items. Why carry 2 pieces when a nice, louder, lighter combo is easily accessible?

I cranked the Ampeg - it is rated 100w but I doubt you can squeeze that out of it and it stinks for 5 string. They should at least use decent drivers.

Haven't heard/played the Acoustic but have no reason to believe it would be any different if not worse.

11. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

The Ampeg micro VR is 200w @4ohm. Definitely giggable in many situations, even though we all know what Ampeg watts really mean. It does have an XLR out, too. The micro CL, the mini svt-looking stack is the 100w one, and it is more a practice amp. I guess you could call them novelties, but they do a great job of capturing the tone of the big fridges.

12. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    I'm reminded of the Stonehenge scene in Spinal Tap.

13. NWB

NWB

If you're playing in a metal band without PA support, then they are a gimmick.

OTOH, if you're playing in a jazz trio or with good PA support, then they're a legitimate option. Of course there are varying degrees in between these examples. YMMV.

14. jj4001

jj4001 Supporting Member

I love my Acoustic 260 as a bedroom practice amp. It sounds pretty good when I'm practicing by myself.

I hate when I have to use it on coffeehouse style gigs or private parties. If our drummer uses hot rods, the thing is actually plenty loud enough. What I dislike is that I can only get deep lows from the cab. I cut bass, boost treble and mids and it's still all deep bass as soon as I use it in a band setting. I imagine it's because of the cabs strange design- a single 10" in a ported box that could fit two 10's.

I haven't played the Ampeg micro stacks but I have to say i was very impressed with it when I saw a band gigging one a while back.

15. jperala

jperala

I have ampeg micro cl for practise, yes it is better than combos i have use. Good sounding and looking litle amp.. me like !!

16. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Ask JimmyM how many people he's played to using microVR stack.

17. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

With everything else being completely equal, a 15" speaker would be louder than a 10" speaker, right?

18. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

You know, one of the items in the Micro VR's feature/spec list actually reads "Much smaller than Stonehenge". I have to say it made me feel really good about clicking the "buy now" button.

19. Timmah

Timmah

I own and gig my micro vr. 150 watts at 8 ohms (the 1 matching 210 cab) is pretty good volume. It also has an xlr out. It's light, toneful, and it looks good :)

I wouldn't gig the acoustic micro- te ones I've seen are 100 watts and have 1x10.

EDIT: mine keeps up with one guitar and a dynamic drummer indoors, and for loud outdoor gigs I've seen them pushed through big cabs- even an 8x10 fridge (I haven't tried that, so ymmv)

20. One Drop

One Drop Supporting Member

Ampeg is generally very honest about their wattage ratings.

21. Timmah

Timmah

The ampeg is 150 at 8 ohms, 200 at 4.