1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Mini toggle location on J bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by AlarmClock314, Mar 17, 2014.

1. AlarmClock314

AlarmClock314

Hey TBers,

I want to add two, on/on mini toggle switches to my Fender MIA J for individual pickup S/P switching. (I could instead use a single 4PDT switch and only make one hole.)

I'm not sure where to put the switch(es). The best places I've thought of so far are:
    -In the control plate, above the center of the output jack and tone knob
    -In the pickguard, below the neck pickup
    -In the body, above the output jack

Have any tips or suggestions for switch locations on a J? I'm okay with routing as needed. Thanks in advance.

2. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

Unless you just want to drill holes and use toggle switches, you could use pull pots on your VVT pots and go stealthy.

3. moles

moles

Have you checked it the location of the active/passive switch on the newer American Deluxe J's? I find it pretty easy to get to, where it is on the control plate. (It's probably right where you were considering with your first option)

4. RobbieK

RobbieK

+1 for push-pulls,

but I'd drill the control plate. It's easy and cheap to replace if you make a mistake or change your mind later.

Use a sharp, new drill bit. Or a centre punch if your plate is off the bass.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. AlarmClock314

AlarmClock314

Push/pull pots are a great use of space, but I'm going with a VBT setup on this bass.

Will a single 4PDT switch fit there? It might be too big to fit next to the tone pot and output jack (even after routing the upper cavity wall).
    If it does fit, I could simply buy an American Deluxe J control plate instead of drilling.

Thanks for the input. I agree that I should probably keep it on the control plate or pickguard, but I'm not sure were I can physically fit two DPDTs (or one 4PDT).

7. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

+1
    If you are dead set on VBT, this is your only reasonable option. Nest your mini toggles as best and as logically as you can. But a word of warning. Your control cavity is going to be mighty crowded.

8. Koeda

Koeda Supporting Member

Can do push-pull on the V and T. I stuck a mini mounted subterranean pickguard a la Gilmour style. Not as easy in metal though....

[​IMG]

9. AlarmClock314

AlarmClock314

A crowded cavity is fine, I just want the switches to fit.

I would like to use toggle switches instead of push/pull pots.
    The recessed toggle switch plate mounted below is interesting, but how would it work for two DPDTs (or one 4PDT)? I think I'd rather use standard mounting.

10. AlarmClock314

AlarmClock314

11. azwipe

azwipe

Here's where I put mine. Also a VBT setup, so didn't go with Push/Pull and the more bridgeward switch is on/on/on.

You might consider putting them more "above" the knobs, because where i have them now i can't see the switches when I'm playing.

Attached Files:

12. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

I suspect you could fit them in, but I'm nearly certain you will need to replace your pots with minis to make the needed room. So here's what I would do. Buy your switches, mini pots, jack and a new control plate. Leave your old plate unmodified, in case you want to change it back.
    Make a tracing of the control plate on a piece of cardboard or stiff paper. Mark all of the holes, including the screw holes. Punch out the screw holes. Put that over your cavity with the screw holes lined up and make a rubbing of the actual control cavity.

Next punch out the other holes and "install" your mini pots and jack in your cardboard template. Now you will be able to see where your mini toggles will fit. "Install" those on your template. When you are satisfied, uninstall everything and use your template to mark the toggle holes on your new control plate.

13. moles

moles

If it helps, I can pull the control plate on mine and post some pics tonight, so you can see for yourself what you're up against.

14. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

Measure twice cut once. Old woodworkers advice .

15. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Do you have dual coil pickups which facilitate individual series/parallel switching?

Before you start cutting have you tried out those combinations yet?

I'd suggest trying a single switch which puts the pickups in series or parallel with each other.

I simply say this as I have a modded bass in which I put series-parrallel switches for each pickup, as well as a switch between the pair. While there was a noticeable change with individual pickups, using both as one big pickup (series) was where the real difference was!

16. AlarmClock314

AlarmClock314

Thanks for info so far everyone.

moles: If you could take a photo of your control plate/cavity that would really help for spatial planning.

i_got_a_mohawk: I'm using split coil J set and I've used a regular series/parallel switch before. From what I've read, there's negligible difference between two pickups in parallel, in series to each other, and two pickups in series, in parallel to each other. The advantage of the latter is that it allows for pickup blending. I'm still torn between using two DPDTs vs one 4PDT. With two DPDTs there will be extra tone combinations, a busier control plate, and slightly slower 'dialing in' on stage. If I'm using one pickup in series with the other in parallel, it will throw off the blend pot's center position. With one 4PDT there will be less tone combinations, a cleaner control plate, and faster 'dialing in' on stage. The blend pot will always function the same since both pickups will always be in series or parallel.

17. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    Ooooh! I want to see more pictures of this bass!

18. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

In my experience there was a big difference (much bigger than the individual pickup configuration). Though you do loose any blending ability (as they become one big pickup). Granted, I didn't use a blend, mine was a two volume job.

I'm not saying don't do it, more that I'd try the options first - before drilling any holes :bassist:

19. Koeda

Koeda Supporting Member

Tanks again, should look familiar to you - it is in your 3 pup thread.

20. moles

moles

The switch itself is fairly big, but those stacked pots are a lot smaller than others I've seen...maybe it helps to see it.
    Good luck!

Attached Files:

21. AlarmClock314

AlarmClock314

Interesting. I'd like to hear the difference between P>S<P and S>P<S for a pair of split-coil pickups.

Those are very unique pots. Looks like I will only be able to fit a DPDT switch in there if I use regular sized pots.