1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

miniature home security system?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Icey101, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Icey101

Icey101

I’d like to setup a hidden home security camera system capable of good night vision. The only thing is I don’t want a bunch of big fat dome or pedestal camera’s bolted to the front of my house pointing at people coming up the drive way. I’d like to install mini hidden camera’s with IR capability. I would then run an IR spot light to brighten up the front yard at night. Here’s another issue, most IR lights glow red at night which might give it away...

Of course I’ll be installing a large hard drive and monitoring systems to run the cameras into

Has anyone got any ideas?

2. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

An IR spot illuminator will give it away, too- why is stealth an objective? If the cameras use IR, it's very easy to find the houses with IR cameras and which ones don't- any video camera will see a bright spot where the illumination emanates. Also, tiny cameras have small lenses and CCD and both of these provide a better image if they're larger because they collect light over a larger area and need less brightening, which reduces noise.

Have you checked for availability where you are? I use Digital Watchdog cameras and DVRs- most of the cameras so far have been Starlight models, which use available light, rather than an IR illuminator. They're easy to setup, they have great features WRT AGC, back-light masking, privacy blocking and are vandal proof. I'll be looking at another brand today. Personally, I'd rather have a good camera than a small one.