Minor rant. Tired of having to ask......

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by NYCbassist, Nov 15, 2013.

1. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

......Where was this bass made? I'm really not a gear snob. The country of manufacture has a lot to do with the price when new and then subsequently on the second hand market. It seems like so many sellers on TB and Feebay leave that piece of info out of the listing. Almost as often as the weight. I have decided to stop asking from here on out. I just won't buy it. Rant over;)

2. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate Supporting Member

It's as if the seller wants anyone interested to begin researching the model on the web instead of providing the details. Weight? That is rarely posted unless asked, and then it's usually weighed on a bathroom scale, not a postal scale.

3. bassinplace

bassinplace

Yeah, if a seller leaves that out it makes me wonder what else he's leaving out or how accurate his description really is. I just pass on ads like that.

4. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

Agreed. Full upfront disclosure or forget it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bolophonic

bolophonic

Is it possible that sometimes people just forget to put it in their ad, rather than omitting it for some nefarious reason?

7. NYCbassist

I would say yes but more so regarding weight. Country of origin is a big selling point to many buyers. I am guilty of forgetting to ask weight and received a 13 Lb bass Via Fedex. Of course some things are more important than others to different people.

8. NYCbassist

Okay to take my rant one step further. How about this? You click on a bass for sale thread and it says "Here's my Bass for sale.....Follow the link to the listing where I bought it. There you can find pictures and details." There's no way that I'll click on that link.

9. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

I always list place of manufacture but not weight because I don't have a scale I can weight basses on that's worth crap. I've got scale that reads up to 13 pounds but it's so small I can make it vary 5 to 7 pounds on large, bulky items like a bass. I've got an old bathroom scale but I wouldn't trust it on anything under 10 pounds.

I'd rather be thought a scofflaw too lazy to weigh a bass than the guy who sold a bass weighting 8.5 pounds then the buyer coming back and saying it weighed 9 or 10 pounds.

Last of all, I've never worried about how much a bass weighs when I buy one. I know a painted j bass is going to come in somewhere between 8 and 10 pounds and an ash body j will (maybe) be a little heavier. I've seen some J's that run a little more or less, but as long as it's not grossly out of the 8 to 10 pound range it's not a detail that's important to me.

If I want a weight for a particular model, I'll just take the spec weight and consider that to be the middle of the range with a pound, pound and a half on either side.

Maybe because the first bass I ever bought with my own money was T-40, but an accurate weight in pounds and ounces is not something I'm worried about when it comes to buying or not buying, a particular bass.

10. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Not just good, good enough Supporting Member

I don't know how much my bass weighs.

It weighs more than my Taylor and less than my tuba:D

11. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I couldn't care less about weight. However, I do have a problem with sellers who leave out details such as country of origin and the exact model. For example, I saw someone advertise a "Genuine Original Fender Jazz" only to find out that it was a Squier. Technically, he did not misrepresent the bass but it would have been nice if he had included a more accurate description.

12. bassinplace

bassinplace

It doesn't make me think the person is nefarious, it just gives me pause as to whether or not they know what they're selling. If they can't give a good description, I'm probably not gonna be interested.

13. GIBrat51

GIBrat51

Understand and sympathize. For me personally, I'm usually looking for something pretty specific, so I generally know what I need to already. My only concerns are the condition, and if it's not a fake. But, I do agree that the more info the seller provides, the better. :)

14. NYCbassist

Yes sir. More info is better. Example: Warwick basses can be from China, Korea or Germany and maybe more places. The RockBass now has the "W" headstock logo. I have seen many Rockbasses listed but not a word mentioned about Rockbass. Blurry or non-existent pictures mean you have to inquire to find out what they are actually selling. Warwick Pro-lines are now Korean and German made depending what model. It's not necessarily deceptive advertising but obviously important information is being omitted. Also, Some Basses are available in different scale lengths but I see them listed with no mention of it at all sometimes. My message in the OP is both for sellers to get on the ball and for buyers to beware.:) It just seems like when I'm in a buying mood, I have to pry the info out of the seller. Another sore spot for me is Thumbnails that (when clicked on) open a new window but only to reveal a tiny picture no bigger than the orig. thumbnail :confused: These are all just minor annoyances but there are certain elements needed for a listing to be successful. Otherwise it's a waste of everyones time.

15. fhm555

Maybe we should come up with a list of "standard" things we'd like to see in a description of a bass for sale here.

As an occasional seller of basses on TB, such a list would be very helpful to me.

The last thing I want to do is turn off a potential buyer because of my poor and/or inadequate listing description.

16. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

i hate ads without pictures!!!! grrrrrrr!!!!

i'm too lazy to click your link and filter through your unorganised scrapbooks. learn how to up-load to TB or bust! :crying:

ALSO:
    +1 to fhm555! as long as his suggestion includes a widgit for photo up-loads!

17. Chromer

Chromer

On the other hand, how much difference is there in how a CNC machine runs the same program between Japan, Korea, Germany,Mexico and the US?

18. fhm555

After spending more than 16 years in CNC machining I often ask myself the same question when I'm asked about thinks like neck thickness.

I can see a weight variation due to stock used, but outside that, asking about minutiae of dimensions on products produced by CNC is only showing ignorance of the process. Since I'm wanting to sell something I usually trot out the dimension when asked because I'd rather sell than educate, but sometimes I wonder why.

Now if Fenders were built the way they used to be done, hand carved by elves deep in a cave hidden in the magic mountains, I could see needing specs like neck thickness.

19. bassinplace

bassinplace

Country of origin is important to me because it directly relates to market value. Weight is important too for obvious reasons. Good pics I consider to be equally important. I also like to know the string spacing. I also like to know what year, if available. That along with asking price and where the seller is located and that's pretty much all the info I need.

20. NYCbassist

I'm with you on all of the above and maybe add in scale length.

21. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Hmmm............I usually find more info here than in other places! Craigslist sellers are just ignorant when trying to sell something! Very little info! Horrible, tiny or no pictures and you have to fight tooth and nail to get any sort of info. I find way less of that here!