1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Mirrors for working on bowing

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by SteveFreides, Sep 23, 2013.

1. SteveFreides

SteveFreides

I would like to get a mirror to watch my bowing practice - is full-length necessary or recommended, or just something so that I can see the bow?

My thought isn't to wall mount but to look for something on a stand, with a nice-ish wooden frame, that I can put up and take down as needed.

Comments, suggestions, advice, war stories - all appreciated.

Thanks.

-S-

2. geoffbassist

geoffbassist UK Double Bassist Supporting Member

I found it helped me a lot and a large full length one was easier to work with so I could really see what was happening with my posture. There were huge wall to celling mirrors at the music college I studied at and they were great. Of course it really depends on whats practical, but as long as you can see what you need to then thats fine. I have a much smaller mirror now, but if I had a dedicated practice space I would get a really large one.

3. DC Bass

DC Bass Supporting Member

A full length mirror would be best- I got one at Target for ten bucks, mounted it on the door of my practice room.

4. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

Agreed. Maybe a full length mirror that will mount to the back of a door?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SteveFreides

SteveFreides

Thanks, everyone - a full length mirror of some sort it will be.

-S-

7. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan

Steve, also keep an eye on craigslist (even the free section, you never know). I remember doing some mirror hunting and sometimes clothing stores or such want to get rid of big mirrors. I just never pulled it together to arrange for a pick up.

8. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

I used a $10 cheapie from Bed Bath & Beyond. Comes with brackets. Good 'nuf. Not full length. About 3' tall. Mounted to a wall.

You don't need full length if you stand back a certain distance.