1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Mirrors for working on bowing

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by SteveFreides, Sep 23, 2013.

1. SteveFreides

SteveFreides

I would like to get a mirror to watch my bowing practice - is full-length necessary or recommended, or just something so that I can see the bow?

My thought isn't to wall mount but to look for something on a stand, with a nice-ish wooden frame, that I can put up and take down as needed.

Comments, suggestions, advice, war stories - all appreciated.

Thanks.

-S-
  2. geoffbassist

geoffbassist UK Double Bassist Supporting Member

I found it helped me a lot and a large full length one was easier to work with so I could really see what was happening with my posture. There were huge wall to celling mirrors at the music college I studied at and they were great. Of course it really depends on whats practical, but as long as you can see what you need to then thats fine. I have a much smaller mirror now, but if I had a dedicated practice space I would get a really large one.
  3. DC Bass

DC Bass Supporting Member

A full length mirror would be best- I got one at Target for ten bucks, mounted it on the door of my practice room.
  4. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

Agreed. Maybe a full length mirror that will mount to the back of a door?
  5. SteveFreides

SteveFreides

Thanks, everyone - a full length mirror of some sort it will be.

-S-
  6. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan

Steve, also keep an eye on craigslist (even the free section, you never know). I remember doing some mirror hunting and sometimes clothing stores or such want to get rid of big mirrors. I just never pulled it together to arrange for a pick up.
  7. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

I used a $10 cheapie from Bed Bath & Beyond. Comes with brackets. Good 'nuf. Not full length. About 3' tall. Mounted to a wall.

You don't need full length if you stand back a certain distance.