1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Misleading eBay Ad (I Know, Go Figure)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by peabody, Dec 20, 2013.

1. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

As someone who buys and sells a lot of stuff, I always get a little miffed when I see something deliberately misleading in an ad. I usually just take a deep breath and let it go, but this one just hit me wrong....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lakland-Skyline-Hollowbody-Electric-Bass-Guitar-VERY-RARE-/171199490461?pt=Guitar&hash=item27dc48e99d

Calling a Lakland Skyline Hollowbody bass "very rare" is one thing, asking $2000 for a bass you can buy brand new for $1500 is another, but then to post a picture in the ad showing the retail price of a "US" Hollowbody is a little over the top.

I apologize if you're a TB'er and you are reading this, but as they say on Sunday Night Football..."C'mon man..."

2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Whenever I see a misleading ad like this from a seller with mostly good feedback, it's usually just ignorance and not deliberately misleading. This fella has one feedback from one buyer from a sale 5 years ago, so I suspect deliberate shenanigans.

3. fearceol

fearceol

I agree that it is annoying and wrong. However I suspect that any potential buyer prepared to spend $1500 or $2000 will have (if not...should have..) done his research and know the going price. This is not to say that the seller should not be honest in his description.

4. peabody

I agree completely. Anyone who knows anything about Lakland products knows this is completely bogus, but it's still annoying. He also posted a Price List from 2007, which is even more weird. Now Lakland lists their MAP prices on their website, so he probably figured those weren't misleading enough.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules! Supporting Member

On the same page Ebay shows two sellers selling new Skylines for $1499, in case you're too lazy to investigate on your own. ;)

7. peabody

Yes, but this one is very rare...:cool:

8. Bassconbeatz

Bassconbeatz Way down low Supporting Member

The bass in the listing looks like a USA model (The headstock doesn't say Skyline). But his description says Skyline. I'm thinking he may have copied and pasted from the wrong model.

9. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

I wouldn't be too worried about this ad. There is a guy been trying to sell a used MIM Deluxe J for $749.00 for going on 2 years when the all day going price for a new model of the same piece is $749.00. I've offered him the going used rate ($550.00) for a good Deluxe J and he acted like he got insulted that I would lowball him that way. I was going to be in the area and before i made the offer, I asked if I could drop by and look at it, and if I liked it I'd buy it and save some shipping. He was totally not in to me looking before buying. He said I could paypal the money to "hold" it till I got there to which I replied if he sold it before I got there it would just be my loss. Nope, he said I was not welcome to see it before I paid.

Reckon that's why he's been trying to off it for so long?

I'm pretty sure your average TBer will do their homework before plunking down their cash, and based on how long this shark has been trying to screw someone with his used jazz bass, it seems most bass players in general do the same.

10. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

I always play Fenders, but have just started looking into Laklands, so I am not any where near as informed on them as my Fender models ... this post got my curiousity enough to ask the seller why this was so rare ... his reply:

"This is the rare Michael Tobias Design (only 100 Made)
    The serial number on my is HB30 (#30)

Made in USA"

... I like get pro-active when I am trying to learn about things ... is his response accurate ?

11. peabody

Okay, if it is a US model, I change my tune. Serial number HB30 (according to the Lakland site) is a 2001 model. I still don't know about "rare". Michael Tobias was involved in the original Hollowbody design, and I'm not aware of any limited edition models. I used to own one very similar to this one....although I ordered mine with a 1.5" nut and block fret markers. $2k for a US model is reasonable....
    I apologize to the lister.....

12. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mr Peabody he still has a misleading ad, even after I inquired of him ... he only added (with emphasis) what I printed above, but never changed the erroneous info contained in the body of his ad ... the text IS describing an imported Skyline, not a USA model ... oh well, his ad ... it is a good thing to see more folk are scrutinizing these ads a bit, as there will undoubtedly be many more to come, and if it weeds out even a couple that are preying on the unsuspecting, it is a good thing ... JMHO

13. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Hey man! It's made out of one of nature's finest products:

Wood!

14. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass

That's an "oops". The poor fella who listed the ad accidentally copied and pasted the skyline text rather than the US text.

In this day and age of cutting and pasting, making such an error is not that hard to do.

I sent him a message through ebay suggesting he fix the text to improve the chance of a sale. Just a bassist helping out another bassist.......you know......in the spirit of Christmas and all that sort of stuff.

15. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass

If only 100 were made, then IMHO I would classify that as being rare.

I used to own a Ric 4001CS (Chris Squire signature model) and there were only 1000 made, and some folks consider the 4001CS model to be rare. So that's why I say if only 100 of the US Lakie hollowbodies were made, I could see how someone would call that rare.