Mismatched speaker sizes of the same brand and series

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by BassOrdinaire, Mar 7, 2014.

1. BassOrdinaire

BassOrdinaire

Hi all,

I'm tentatively looking at adding another cabinet to my GK MB Fusion 800/Mesa PH212 setup. I've been quite fond of the sound of the Mesa cab and was seriously considering simply picking up another 8ohm PH212 to essentially have a modular 412 rig, but I haven't made up my mind.

I know the conventional wisdom is to match cabs as closely as possible, but I was reading some promotional literature from Mesa that said that the PH212 and PH410 are designed to work well in tandem. I'm tempted to give this setup a shot because the 212 by itself isn't quite loud enough to play with a full band setup (stupid loud doom metal and fusion situations), and was thinking the 410 might provide adequate firepower by itself for practice situations where I might not want to haul both cabinets. On the negative side, the 410 is heavier and slightly more expensive.

Also, has anyone had any luck getting GC's used website to ship such a heavy item across the country without having to pay an arm and a leg for shipping? I was lucky enough to pay $400 for my PH212 in a local deal, but I fear that I might not be so fortunate in the future.

Any experience with the PH412, PH610, or PH810 is welcome as well. Playing a Zon fretless and getting dirty at times. Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
  2. GretschBassist

GretschBassist Supporting Member

+1 On a modular 412 rig. This ROCKS.

As I understood this, and I am by no means a PRO but however. Using different sized speakers isn't the "problem" it's using differently tuned cabs i.e. one 36hz low and another one that only does 50hz on the low end. Someone might wanna verify that though...^^
  3. mrmills

mrmills

No problem using different speaker cabs with different speaker sizes, etc. Cabs of different configuration will end up sounding different, that is a given, the only thing to be careful of is the cab impedance. Combined, the value much not be lower than the minimum for a solid state amp or you risk damaging it.
  4. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well I'm Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

The Earth slows its rotation everytime an amp is fired up through mismatch cabs. ;)

Lot's of folks will swear by mismatched cabs; many will swear at them. My experience -- and I ran with 210+115 and 410+115 for years -- is there are fewer "bad rooms" with a single cab or matched cabs.
  5. Register to disable this ad