1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Missing Truss Rod Nut...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Cuauhtemoc, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Cuauhtemoc

Cuauhtemoc

So, about two months ago I bought a used '06 MIM P-bass off of craigslist for $185. The price was good, I asked the guy if anything was wrong and he said no. I tried it out and it worked fine. The pickup poles were covered with rust, the frets were kinda discolored, and there were some decent scratches on the body, so I figured that the price was fair.

Anyway, I didn't really play it until Christmas, when I technically received it as a "subsidized" present. I slapped on some GHS Precision Flats, but when I went to adjust the truss rod to compensate for the tension, it appeared that the nut is missing. The TR is unbroken so it should be a repairable issue, correct?

So pretty much, I have two questions:
    1) What size nut would this P-bass need?
    2) Is this an easy enough to do myself? The only experience with a luthier in my town is reading some sketchy ads on CL, and the next closest one that I trust and have been to in the past is almost half an hour away. I would prefer to DIY, but I could always go to them if I needed to.
  2. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member