Mixed Emotions: Rush Featured in New Commercial

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BigDanT, Feb 16, 2014.

1. BigDanT

BigDanT Supporting Member

So, I was pretty excited when I heard Working Man featured in a new commercial. I have always loved the song. Then I was a bit amused to see the commercial was promoting made in america products. Okay, a Canadian band being used to promote MIA products (kind of funny, right). But then I was truly disappointed to see that the commercial was for Walmart.

Man, I just hat to see any of my favorite songs being used in commercials like that. :crying:

here's a link to the vid:

http://youtu.be/0LYI--n-tjE
  2. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

I find its funny that they are trying to promote their company with the lyrics..."I got no time for living Im working all the time"...and "seems to me I could live my life much better than I think I am". Must be a blast to work there!
  3. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass

You know what they say...........any publicity is good publicity.
  4. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

I also have mixed feelings. It's great to see a Rush song used anywhere but did they listen to the lyrics when they chose that song? Also I'm not much of a Walmart fan.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I don't mind it at all. If someone is willing to pay for the rights to use the song, why not take the money as long as you believe in the product and the company? It's nothing new. It has been happening since there has been recorded music.
  7. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U Banned

My mixed feeling on this are based on the use of the song "Working Man". They should have sold the song to the Orkin bug control company, instead. "They call me the Orkin' man! Guess that's what I am."
  8. basspedaler

basspedaler Supporting Member

oh man, I am with ya. I love Rush, and loath Wal-mart! their new ads trying to promote them as the good guy make me sick. they move more import product in this country than anyone, pay their workers poorly, and prey on the poor with price. they have also obviously destroyed inumerable small businesses. I have only worked at and tried to support small biz since '92. never going back. power to the little people!!
    if what that ad says is true, it would killer if for every US made item they picked up, they dropped an import! end rant. better to hear rush on TV, than another autotune pop chart ;)
  9. BigDanT

BigDanT Supporting Member

I just have to wonder if they listened to the lyrics as well. Walmart, whatever your beliefs, isn't known as pro-working man.
  10. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

Anthem would've been a more appropriate choice.
  11. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

There's a regional country artist where I live who really milks the America/military thing for all its worth. I mean seriously, he makes Toby Keith look like a pinko in comparison.

One day while riding to a gig, our drummer pulls up a YouTube video of this guy performing a cover of Pink Houses. It's obvious why he's playing it: The "Ain't that America?" line. There were shots of people waving mini American flags. I couldn't do anything but shake my head and laugh that he totally missed the point of that song. That song's a deconstruction of the American Dream and Mellencamp is being ironic in the chorus. It reminds me of people who think that Born in the USA is a patriotic song.
  12. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Its a store, I don't see whats so evil about it. I went in there the other day and I'm still alive telling you guys about it right now....crazy no?
  13. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

LOL :D
  14. Caustic Crunch

Caustic Crunch

Everyone works on their pension plans in different ways.
  15. M0ses

M0ses

Yeeeeeeeah.....those lyrics right went over Walmart's head.
  16. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

+1 I will continue to shop there and gasp!! eat at the golden arches congrats to Rush.
  17. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

I think selling your song to a corporation like that discredits you in every possible way, unless of course you're already clearly a corporate sellout band, in which case, who cares? But while I'm not a huge fan, I can't say I've ever thought of Rush as corporate sellouts.... until now. But I'm also one of those stubborn old hippie types who considers real rock and roll to be essentially anti-establishment. That might seem naïve until I add that I don't think there's much real rock and roll left.

Here are some lyrics I wrote back in 1999 on the subject of countercultural rock anthems being co-opted by Madison Ave, and I still think they're some of my best:

Tell Scott-Heron and Lennon that they were ill-advised
    The revolution most assuredly was televised
    And Instant Karma did not come to knock 'em 'twixt the eyes
    When all that innocence got steeped in irony and lies

And I am everyday people

So looking back in hindsight, could we get a better view?
    How much of this was product, and, well, what else could we do?
    But try to grow old gracefully, and give a kind review
    To the latest Woodstock episode, as seen on Pay-Per-View

And I am everyday people
  18. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

I doubt the boys sold it to Walmart...the record company did.
  19. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

If you think having a song on a commercial is selling out then I really feel sorry for you.
  20. Bufalo

Bufalo Funk in the Trunk Supporting Member

I also chuckled about a Canadian band being used in a commercial to promote the use of American products.
  21. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

All working musicians want to have their music support them. Doesn't make them anything but smart