1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Mixed-feelings upon my first bass class

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Vika, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Vika

Vika

Hey guys, how is it going? Today I had my first bass class. I was excited about it, for it was my first time playing, but when the class was done, I felt sort of mixed feelings. I was mainly confused, for I do not think I enjoyed it as much as I thought I would. Like, I can't decide wether I like it that much or not, guess it's normal though, for it'll take a couple more classes to actually see if I'm feeling it. Is there such thing as "falling in love", head over heels with an instrument upon the very first "contact" between you two? I don't know, maybe it's just me. I thought I'd be "in love" by the end of the class! Is it common to feel this way?

Thanks in advance!

2. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

After one lesson you really can't make an informed decision in my opinion. Playing an instrument is not for everyone. But if you decide to put in the time and effort it can be very rewarding.

3. fearceol

fearceol

Most people fall "in love" with the instrument before they take classes. Generally, it is because they love the instrument so much that they take classes so they can improve their playing. Perhaps it was the class itself (e.g. the way it was presented etc) that you did not like ? It should not have influenced your liking of the instrument itself IMO.

Having said that, IMO it is too soon to make a definitive decision.

4. Emanuel Apascaritei

Emanuel Apascaritei

Media:
    Albums:
    I understand falling in love for a bass but for taking classes?!?! Don't know. Anyhow it's too soon to see if the classes are worth it. As for me, I've experimented results after 4 classes, and in an year I've learned more than I could imagine about bass playing. So it takes some time.

And the other part is that not everybody can give classes. The teacher must know how to teach. Is the teacher a real teacher?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassteban

bassteban

I suggest sticking it out, as I rarely do- but when I do, I am rewarded. I played for maybe two years w/some friends who were, at the time(14-15 yrs old, completely untrained)awful. When I got in w/some better musicians, suddenly the noise became music. It was like the first time riding a bicycle, which I also remember vividly.

7. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

There is stress with any lesson, I think you expected more than happened. Question now is how much can really happen in one lesson?

Yes, give it a few more lessons. And remember you do not have to keep taking the lessons - long term. I usually take for three to four months and then stop for awhile. My instructor has given me so much "stuff" that I need some time to "catch up". Once I do catch up and there is something more I want to learn I'll go back for another set of lesson.

Hang in.

8. Mushroo

Mushroo

Be sure to put in lots of time learning your favorite songs by ear and having fun jamming with your friends, in addition to whatever they are teaching you in this class. :)

9. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Music is a life long journey. Welcome to the first step. Remember Tom Hanks line from "A League of Their Own": Of course its hard, that's what makes it great.

Enjoy the journey.