1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Mixed string sets

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Showdown, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

It is common for double bass players to use different brand/type strings mixed on the same bass, because they like for example the E & A from one brand/type and the D & G from another, but I have never heard of electric bass players doing it.

I just put a set of TI Flats on a J and the B was a little muddy compared to the other strings, just not as clear as the rest of them. These are older broken in strings that came off another bass. So I put the old nickel round (Fender 7250 .125) on and it blends perfectly with the other strings. Anyone else ever try mixing strings on an electric bass?

I like it and think I'll leave it like this.

Here is a clip, I just played the 3rd and fifth fret on the B, then E, then A then back down and repeated.

https://soundcloud.com/splatbass/ti-with-fender-b-string
  2. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

I hope you never break a string at a gig.

Anyway - nope, I just use D’Addario EXL170 strings - gauges: 0.045, 0.065, 0.080, 0.0100 and I always have a spare sets. They don’t cost very much and almost every music store in the world stocks them so they’re really easy to get. BTW, if you like flats (other than feel) dead EXL170s sound similar to flats.
  3. thehangingmist

thehangingmist

yeah sure i have mixed sets on both my basses right now. especially with a b.. if i could find a better less floppier, tapered, b lying around which does not sound too different.. then i dont see any harm!
    right now i had a super light set but a .90 E was not working for me but i tried on a .100 from an elixir set boom awesomeness :D
  4. Showdown

In 35 years I have never broken a string, on a gig or otherwise.

And dead EXLs don't sound like TI flats. Nothing does. They have a certain midrange sound that dead RW can't match.

Anyway, listen to the clip I posted. The newish RW B sounds the same as broken in TI flat E and A. If I didn't tell you I bet you would never know by listening to it.
  5. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

I’ll have to listen later - I don’t have ear buds with me, but I’ll take your word for it. Anyway, the main thing or only thing that really matters is that you like them.
  6. Showdown

I do like them. The Fender nickel B sounds more like the rest of the TI set than the TI B does. It doesn't have the mids that the other TI strings have. One thing that might be part of it is the TI set has a .136 B, but only a .100 E. I think that is too big of a difference.