1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

mixing 8ohm and 4ohm cabs

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by NZBassman, Feb 7, 2014.

1. NZBassman

NZBassman

I have an Ashdown ABM EVO 900 III and it has 4 speaker outputs on the back and could take 4 x 8ohm cabs if I wanted to do that - but at the moment I have a Warwick 4x10 600w @ 8ohms.
    I am looking to get a 2x10 cab to put with it and to use for smaller gigs / rehearsals.
    I've seen a peavey 2x10 2nd hand for a good price - it's 350w, but it is 4 ohms
    could I run the 2 cabs together or will this potentially cause harm to my amp with one cab being 4ohms and the other 8 ohms?

any advice would be helpful :bassist:
  2. agent77

agent77 Tin Foil Hat Wearer Supporting Member

Running an 8 ohm cab and a 4 ohm cab will give you a 2.6 ohm load. Is your head stable at 2 ohms?
  3. agent77

agent77 Tin Foil Hat Wearer Supporting Member

I just looked up your Ashdown head. It has dual power amps. You'll be fine, just don't hook up both cabs to the same side.
  4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

To create a workable 6x10 from a 2x10 plus 4x10, the 2x10 must have twice the impedance of the 410. this will allow each driver to receive the same amount of power. With an 8Ω 4x10 you need a 16Ω 2x10 to mate with it. They should be of the same manufacturer and of the same series for the best result. Mating cabinets from two separate manufacturers leads to a crapshoot.

Edit: Trying to add a 4Ω 2x10 is a pointless excersise as the 2x10 will be way past it's limits before the 4x10 even begins to get moving.
  5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

+1 as usual, to BassmanPaul's post. A 4 ohm 210 is not a good idea to begin with, but paired with an 8 ohm 410, even less so. If you want balance, (and good sound), find a 2nd matching 8 ohm 410, and run one off each half of the amp.
  6. gard0300

gard0300 Supporting Member

I used to run this way. It's actually a 2.66 ohm load. So be careful and read your amp manual.
  7. mbelue

mbelue Supporting Member

The other alternative is to get the 210 and rewire it for 16 ohms. If you or one of your friends is at all comfortable with wiring its an easy 10 minute job.
    Your 4ohm 210 should be 2-8 ohm 10"drivers in parallel. Putting them in series (properly polarity observed of course) will net you a 16 ohm load much better match for your existing 410 and head.
    That being said it may not sound amazing being two different kinds of speakers from to wildly different manufacturers. Won't know until you try.
  8. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

I was always told(maybe by someone who doesnt know what they are talking about) that a 4ohm 410 with an 8 ohm 210 will give you 2.66 ohms and will give equal power to each 10inch driver. I never personally had this setup so I can't attest to the quality of sound, but if all is correct. In theory it should sound pretty good as long as your amp can handle a 2 ohm load.
  9. BassmanPaul

The OP is trying to do the opposite!
  10. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

+1

4 ohm 410 + 8 ohm 210 = workable rig with 2 ohm capable amp (great if both cabs have identical drivers with correct enclosures)

8 ohm 410 + 4 ohm 210 = not workable unless you have a 2 channel amplifier and the cabinets get along with each other.

The OP has neither.
  11. P Town

P Town Guest

The problem with running an 8 ohm 410 + 4 ohm 210 on a two channel amp, is that most two channel sound reinforcement amps have only one volume control that controls both channels. The operator would have to limit the output to whatever level the least capable cabinet is able to handle safely.
  12. Jim Carr

Please note dual attenuators on typical lead sled (crest CA 6)...

[​IMG]
  13. BassmanPaul

I have yet to see a stereo power amp with a single level control.
  14. BassmanPaul

Jim, that there Crest even looks heavy !!! :D
  15. Jim Carr

It is happier driving a PA in a very groove-oriented Reggae band. That rack weighs in at 74 lbs!
  16. P Town

P Town Guest

You are correct. I was having a brain fart.
  17. Jim Carr

No worries. Mid-winter does that. Something about the spores being released from all the frozen dog pooh as it thaws and refreezes. Or so I've heard...;)
  18. gard0300

Well usually in "bridge mode" only one volume control will work.
  19. mbelue

mbelue Supporting Member

True but usually in "bridge mode" you cannot use less than 4 ohms.
  20. gard0300

Depends on the amp. Most Mesa will handle a 2 ohm load. Most power-amps will as well.