Mixing and matching cabs- ohms/ power ratings

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by BottomThumper, Jan 25, 2013.

1. BottomThumper

BottomThumper

Well I made an effort to see if this has been addressed before, but I am not coming up with anything and keep getting sucked into reading unrelated threads just because they are interesting.

So here's the set-up:

I have an Eden Metro combo and would like to add another cab. The Metro has the equivalent of a 210 built in, rated for 350w at 8 ohms. There is an Eden 410T cabinet available nearby rated at 550w at 4 ohms.

If I did the math right, running these parallel would leave me at around a 2.6 ohm load, which bumps the power up to around 600 watts. The back of the amp indicates it's capable of running with a 2 ohm load at 750w.

Please correct me if any of these calculations are flawed, and what I'd really like to know is if it's worth getting into a set-up like this. Would I be better off searching out another 8 ohm cab? Is pushing my volume up until the combo's internal speakers start distorting going to be my new peak indicator?

Thanks in advance-

2. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Yes to question in bold. I would expect a good amount of increase in actual sound pressure. IMO/IME

3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Electrically a 4Ω 4x10 and an 8Ω 2x10 would match with each driver getting around the same power. As Mr. B posted you will be able to get louder, more speakers and more power from the amp. How the two will sound together is a question of try it and see.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Agreed. In THIS case, you'll have a significant increase in volume, and all 6 spkrs will get balanced power. If you were to go with an 8 ohm cab, it should be another 2x10, to balance what's in the combo, but your current plan seems solid.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RDUB

RDUB Supporting Member

Also a big plus because of one of the usually overlooked factors: efficiency. If you added a 410 Ampeg cab, for example, the difference in efficiency would be unworkable.

7. BottomThumper

BottomThumper

That's an aspect I didn't even consider- double the speakers at half the impedance will create even power going to all 6 speakers, with the two in the combo only good for 350 watts, though, I imagine I'll be dialing the master back a little bit more. Man, I wish I had known all this stuff 30 years ago. It would have saved me a BUNCH of heartache- and money...

And Paul, you reminded me of another question that bugged me when I was writing the original post: what's the key combination to get an ohm symbol? ;)

Yeah- that's a really good point. I was looking at 115 and 212 cabs and got steered away from that for this reason.

If all of this is indeed the case, looks like I fell into a good idea armed with half the facts (if that).

8. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Ya know, being an IBM compat user I wondered this also! :D Not using any CAD programs for a long time.

9. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

Hold down the ALT key with 234 at the same time......................................

10. BottomThumper

BottomThumper

HA! Found it- option (alt) - Z gives you Ω which, now that I think of it, is the last letter of the classic greek alphabet - Omega - that's on a Mac