1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Mixing Cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Joe Milo, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Joe Milo

Joe Milo

Fellas,

Have anyone of you ever mixed cabs from different makers? Right now I'm using an all Hartke rig....LH500 AMP and XL4X10 Cab.....Some time soon down the road I would like to add an Ampeg 4X10 cab to the mix......The Hartke cab is 8ohms and I will make sure to add another 8ohm cab so I don't cause any problems.....This isn't a 4X10 VS 1X15 (driver) mixing.....Just Different company names.....

Once the gig money starts rolling in I will be getting the Ampeg SVT7 PRO Amp head.....Then I will get the Ampeg SVT4X10HE cab and keep my Hartke XL4X10 as a spare or if I play a club that requires two 4X10 cabs......

2. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

I think your best bet would be to get a matching cab. However, there is no harm in trying it out. I would like to point out that having the same speaker configuration is no guarantee of compatibility.

3. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    It means the exact same speaker, not just that they are all 10" or whatever.

The 2 cabs will sound louder than either alone, no doubt. It's how their different responses will blend together that's unpredictable. That usually ends up as odd peaks and dips or un-even/inconsistent tone in various different listening positions out in the room, not as noticable right up close to the rig.

4. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

Keep in mind they are pretty much guaranteed to sound better than either cab alone from up close (unless they are completely out of phase, which can be easily fixed); it's how they'll sound out in the room that may (or may not) suck at different locations.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Joe Milo

Joe Milo

Back in the day I used to have the Ampeg Fridge and the SVT tube head......sold it! What a mistake.....

My Hartke LH500 is nice but there are a few annoying things wrong with it....The LED bulb quit working on the on/off power switch shortly after I bought it......The active jack is all wonky....Sometimes it will cut out on me when I am playing.....All of my basses are active so I always use the Active input jack.

7. nashman

nashman

Can you - or have you tried using the passive input jack and turning down the gain?

8. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

Unless your basses overpower the passive input, there is NO reason to use the active input.

9. Joe Milo

Joe Milo

I have used the passive input jack......I just always thought that I may harm my AMP if my basses are active and I'm using the passive input?

10. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

+1 I never use the active input.

11. BassmanPaul

Nothing will be harmed, no Armageddon will ensue and the whole system may well be a little less noisy. :D

12. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

Not true. On most amps the active input jack has a built in pad that reduces the input by about 10 dB. The exact amount depends on the amp design. Typically this jack is used when the signal from your bass is so hot, that you have to turn the gain way down to reduce distortion. Some passive basses have a signal hotter than a typical active bass. You may want to use the active input for these instruments. On the other hand some active basses have a very low output and could benefit from using the passive input. Then again, maybe you want to distort the input. It really depends on your sonic goals. As always, let your ears be your guide.

13. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

Most of the active basses I've had in my life were no louder than my passive basses. I've been using active electronics since 1976.

You won't harm anything using the passive input. The worst that can happen is you might overdrive the input, and some distortion may result, if your bass is high enough output. You could then either turn the bass down a little or adjust the gain on the amp.

Why not get your input fixed? It likely just needs the solder pads on the input jack resoldered. That is likely the problem with the LED as well. When things break, they don't fix themselves.

14. BassmanPaul

This I 100% agree with, the rest not so much. As Steve opined, if the bass is too hot turn it down. I stand by the rest of my post. I've been using active basses for more than thirty years and have yet to have a problem! :)

15. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    There would be a lot less confusion about this if manufacturers would stop labeling the inputs/pad switches as "active" and "passive".