1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Mixing cabs

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by sugarmagnolia97, Dec 30, 2012.

1. sugarmagnolia97

sugarmagnolia97

I have a 200 watt 410 cabinet. I want to add a 115 under it that is 500 watts. I always read that the 410 would be way louder than the 115. But with the 15 having more watts would they be equal or even the 115 cab be louder? Thanks
  2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

There is very little that can be said about the set up with the details you have provided. The power ratings of cabs have little to do with the performance of the cab, or even the power they can handle.

More details please.
  3. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    Ohm is what matters.
  4. CL400Peavey

Impedance.
  5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The 15 does NOT have more watts. It is rated to handle a higher number of watts before burning up. But this does not tell you anything about how it sounds as you push it at various volume levels, and it does NOT get or have more watts.
  6. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

No. Definitely not.

The cabinet ratings aren't really indicative of how loud they are. They aren't really indicative of how much power you can feed it before it starts farting and blowing speaker cones. I think it's probably best to ignore them for the most part.

As you turn up the volume on your amp higher and higher, the 15 will be the first speaker to blow. There's simply no way it's going to take the same amount of power as four other drivers, no matter their size.

There are a few other nerdy reasons not to mix cabinets/drivers, but this is the easiest one to understand: the two cabs can handle very different levels on your volume knob. The weakest cab will blow its speaker before your stronger cab is even hitting its stride.
  7. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

[​IMG]

here is a pair of cabs i built myself!

The top 4x10 cab is loaded with Eminence Legend BP102's rated at 200 watts each

the bottom cab is loaded with a Deltalite 15" rated at 300/600 watts

i have no issues...even though everyone around these parts goes on and on about phasing issues and this combo sounding like crap...:bag:
  8. sugarmagnolia97

sugarmagnolia97

The 410 is a Marshall jcm 800 and the 115 I hope to get is the orange obc115. They are both 8 ohms
  9. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

What are you pushing these cabs with?
  10. sugarmagnolia97

sugarmagnolia97

I hope to get a ampeg v4b to go with them.
  11. sugarmagnolia97

sugarmagnolia97

Also right now I have the Marshall and am set on the v4b to go with it. Just not sure whether the 115 will Be a good thing to add
  12. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

You won't know until you try it. JCM bass cabs exist but yours is a regular 1960? They don't make for bass cabs.
  13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    With a V4B, I'd get a second 410, matching if possible, because it sounds to me like you're looking for more volume. Also, there is no way a single 115 in a standard bass cab can take 500w in any real world setting. OTOH, it won't be an issue to you with a V4B, but if you're looking to maximize your loudness potential, a 410 will do that better than a 115 except in rare circumstances that aren't usually seen in commercial bass cabs.
  14. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

nobody with a clue is saying it has to sound "like crap"!

it's just that a second 4x10 cab would have probably sounded better.
  15. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Exactly, if people would actually read those posts, instead of just reacting to them, they'd see that almost never does anyone say it sounds bad. They only say it's a non-ideal use of resources. Big difference!
  16. sugarmagnolia97

sugarmagnolia97

It's a marshall jcm 800 bass series 410 from around 1985.
  17. sugarmagnolia97

sugarmagnolia97

Would a 210 work? I was hoping with the 115 it could be a smaller cab to take to smaller gigs, so I'd still like to have that option with a smaller cab.
  18. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

As long as the 2x10 has twice the impedance of the 4x10 it would be fine electrically. The total impedance should not fall below the minimum impedance load of the amp. How the pairing will sound would still be a crapshoot.
  19. sugarmagnolia97

sugarmagnolia97

So if the 410 is 8 ohms the 210 should be 4 ohms?
  20. CL400Peavey

No, if the 410 is 8 the 210 should be wired at 16 Ohms.