Mixing Delano pickups for this setup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by AlarmClock314, Jan 24, 2014.

1. AlarmClock314

AlarmClock314

I have all of the equipment already except for the pickups. I mostly play rock and love using flats. I'm looking for a variety of useful tones with this setup.

Bass and electronics:
    MIA Fender J bass, maple neck/fretboard
    Vol-Vol-Tone configuration, passive
    2x 250k volume pots
    ToneStyler Duo Bass Ten tone control
    Delano pickups, JC 4 AL/M2 at neck (regular pole pieces), JMVC 4 FE/M2 at bridge (large pole pieces)
    Sadowsky flatwound strings

Amp:
    GK MB Fusion 800
    Neo 4x10

My opinion is that this setup strikes a balanced between both vintage and modern sounds. The ToneStyler would allow for different caps to be used and a brighter tone while at 10 (no ohm loading or cap in circuit). The Sadowsky flats would sound mellow after breaking in, although are considered to be brighter flats.
    The neck soloed would be more mid-focused and warm, and I could probably get a decent P bass sound with the tone rolled off. The bridge soloed would be more scooped, aggressive, and bright (even more so with the TS at 10). I'm hoping to get a good mix of these qualities with both pickups on full.

What do you think about using these pickups with this setup?

2. Envincibal

Envincibal Supporting Member

You can't mix different pickups - you could get a custom set made through BestBassGear (I'll be doing that myself to mix two JMVC's with a single SBC (there is an upcharge around 20% IIRC).
    ● - Single Coil Pickup
    ▲ - Twin-Coil In-Line Humcanceller
    When mixing Delano pickups you must use two pickups with the same icon.

3. AlarmClock314

AlarmClock314

I will be ordering a custom set and both of the pickups are listed as "● splitcoil humbuckers."

4. vince a

vince a

I really like the sound of Delano pickups . . . saw and heard a 4 string Jazz with Delano Hybrid pickups - awesome!

I'll be trying the Delano JMVC 5 FE pickups on my Lakland 55-60 5 string Jazz real soon!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. AlarmClock314

AlarmClock314

Bump. Any other thoughts about mixing these two pickups?