1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Mixing EMG j with jx ???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Donald Cajonn, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Donald Cajonn

Donald Cajonn

Tried mixing different model pick ups in my jazz bass, a jx bridge pickup and a emg sj pup. I can't seem to get the jx pickup which is super nice to work. Its just really quiet. Should I add another battery? Or you can't mix pups? Thanks

2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    The J has a higher output impedance than the JX. 10k vs. 2k.

Are you using the controls that came with the JX?

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

yeah, have you checked each pickup by itself?

wired right, they each should work fine, but together you'd probably only hear the "X" pickup.

(i discovered this when wiring a set of duncan blackout (active) guitar pickups to an EMG-equipped axe; the duncans conveniently use the same connectors in the same configuration into the same pots, so i only had to clip in the new pickups; as an experiment i left the EMGs in to see how they mixed, and the duncans completely swamped them.

the blackouts have a newer preamp than old-school EMGs; i suspect they were part of the impetus that got EMG to upgrade their preamps with the "X" series.)

here's a dumb question: is the connector clip in backwards on the JX?

4. Donald Cajonn

Donald Cajonn

I'm using the active tone and it's working fine now.

I can also hear both pickups crystal clear. I just had to drop the neck pickup down a lot to compensate

5. Register to disable this ad