1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Mixing nordy pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by johndough247, Dec 31, 2012.

1. johndough247

johndough247 Supporting Member

I'm thinking of doing a build with:

Nordy fat stack at the neck (with a series/parallel switch for that)
    Nordy dual coil at the bridge (single back/humbucking/single front 3-way switch).

I've heard somewhere on TB that one of them (I believe the dual coil) is hotter than the other...I'm wondering if this setup can be done and not sound terribly unbalanced? Any thoughts?
  2. johndough247

Anybody? Based on descriptions of each pickup's sound, I'm thinking these might be a good match, and I was seeking the most versatile setup for tone.
  3. maurilio

maurilio Musician/tech at Mo's Shop and Nordstrand Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - DR strings - Sadowsky - Genz Benz
    Fatstacks can not be wired series/parallel, only tapped.
    DC with "higher" output are the parallel wound (compared to the series one).

I have never installed a FS + DC on the same bass. Sure they will work, how well/bad I can't tell :smug:
    One thing to remember is that when in single coil the DC will hum.

M
  4. johndough247

Thanks I was kinda hoping u would reply...I knew it was a switch between single coil and humbucking but I kinda thought it was switching the way the coils were wired internally (guess I'm still a little fuzzy on the definition of coil tapping and coil switching).

Based on your experience with these pickups, if you were to pair another nordy pickup with a DC (aside from the obvious: another DC), which would you try?
  5. johndough247

bump, open to anyone with knowledge of these pickups
  6. maurilio

maurilio Musician/tech at Mo's Shop and Nordstrand Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - DR strings - Sadowsky - Genz Benz
    well, again, if you are going to split the DC remember they will not humcan in SC.

For this reason a DC + BSp, P, Jsplit would be the best compromise. FS have a little less overall output (compared to the rest)

than again, what kind of sound are you after, pickups placement, scale….?

M
  7. johndough247

It's going on a 31" 6 string (but designed to take 34" strings), and I'm mainly going for the ability to cop a modern J sound but also a more aggressive soapbar equipped bass (think MTD tone in a gospel/modern R&B setting for example) or somewhere in between the two. Pickup placement most likely as shown below:

[​IMG]

I also need a thick (but definitely not mid shy) neck pickup for when I solo for certain styles like dub, reggae, motown, big band jazz. I'm hoping for this bass to be my main bass (I usually prefer to carry one bass to a gig), and as such I need it to be as tonally versatile as possible.
  8. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

Wow, that bass looks beautiful! :eek: Build it yourself?
  9. johndough247

http://www.littleguitarworks.com

I didn't build it, check out the link...I'm getting one from there. Some basses with a very interesting "twist" ;)