Mixing same size drivers?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by TwinBass, Mar 7, 2014.

1. TwinBass

TwinBass

I get that the optimum setup would be all matching drivers/cabs. I'm curious about mixing brands of drivers/cabs. I have a Peavey 4x10 at 4 ohms, an Ampeg 2x10 at 8 ohms, and a Peavey T-Max head that can handle 2 ohms. I've connected my 4x10 and my 2x10 (2.667 ohm load) and it sounds just fine to me. I'm thinking of adding another 8 ohm 2x10 cab to get a full on 8x10 (500w @ 2 ohms) setup.

What are the disadvantages to this 4x10 + 2x10 + 2x10 (different cabs/drivers) type of setup?

Are there any special considerations for tweeter levels with this setup?

Extra credit: What would adding a 1x12 instead of a 2x10 (4ohm 4x10+ (8ohm 2x10 +8ohm 1x12) do to everything? (/searchesforflameretardantgear)

2. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Same disadvantages for different drivers regardless of their diameter, because diameter isn't a very relevant factor. Unpredictable response.

3. AstroSonic

AstroSonic Supporting Member

+1

OTOH, if it sounds just fine to you then why not? If you have walked around in front of the cabs to hear how it sounds from various angles and are pleased, that should be satisfactory. Keep in mind that each cab addition is a role of the dice, especially if each addition is different.

4. LowEZ

LowEZ Supporting Member

Back in the day we just used to wire the four 10" woofers on parallel to make it a 2-ohm cab. A T-Max atop a 2-ohm wired 410TX was a popular setup, and those 410TX's could handle the power.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I also find since different cabs are voiced differently they are not all complimentary. I currently have my Epifani 3x10 and my Markbass 4x10 running in a stack... it sounds very meh, they do not play well together. It is rather loud though and it is nice having the highs right next to your ear.

7. TwinBass

TwinBass

Sooo... I see "Unpredictable response".. possibly non-complimentary...

What should I be listening for if/when I pop in a 3rd cab?

8. TwinBass

TwinBass

I should add that I also have an Aguilar TH350. It's mainly a smaller home/practice head, but it could also serve as a backup head. I know it can only handle 4 ohms. I would probably pair it with my 4 ohm 4x10 Peavey (duh... had that cab for forever and love it) but thinking about other scenarios...

Mixing a 2x10 Ampeg and another 2x10 or 1x12 cab... can I expect more than "unpredictable response" or "non-complimentary"? Would there be actual problems? I read lots about the downsides of mixing a 1x15 with a 4x10 due to the power handling of the 1x15 vs the 4x10, and I get think I get the mechanics behind it... but a 1x12 and a 2x10 or two different 2x10s?

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The unpredictable response IS a problem, unless you like a handful of notes to be wildly loud, a handful of notes disappearing out of the mix, and the rest will be with varying degrees of response.

10. StraightSix

StraightSix

If it were me, I would take a punt on the extra 2X10...everyone knows how good an 8X10 sounds so I reckon that would be your best next move.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'll tell you, I'd probably agree. Dude says he has no problem with his two-cab 610 rig as is, so I doubt he'd have a problem with a second 210.

12. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

No telling without an actual trial if the 3rd cab is different again.

My mixed cab setup is okay also. I notice the additional clarity of kosher setups. I'don't notice the missing clarity when I don't have it.

13. chris_b

chris_b

You won't break anything so why don't you just try it.

In my experience unpredictability isn't as predictable as some would have you believe.

14. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

It's not how it sounds to you that matters but how it sounds out in the room. As you are running it, the system is fine from an electrical standpoint. Driving it's 2.67Ω with a 2Ω stable amplifier is also fine.

You need to go out into a typical room and listen at various areas to see if the two cabinets complement each other or cancel at various frequencies.

15. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

Guitar ain't bass!

Guitar cabs are mostly just boxes to hold the speakers, while bass cabs are almost like drivers just to energize the cabs!

16. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

Have you ever noticed that when you stand directly in front of a guitar cab, the highs almost take your head off? Then when you move two feet to the side those highs all but disappear?

17. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

Perfect example of not knowing a thing about cab design, but feeling the need to throw in a snarky comment.

18. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

To OP. You have no said which model Ampeg 210 you have. If it is the SVT-210HE, you have one of the deepest, darkest and loudest (in the lows!) 210 cabinets I know of. It is also quite power hungry. It uses the same drivers you will find in the SVT-410HLF, known for its deep, loud bass. I doubt the unspecified Peavey 410 will work very well with it, at least compared to what an ideal 210 + 410 rig would give you.

19. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Supporting Member

Media:
    NB - thread is being closely watched by mods for potentially snarky comments and trolling. Post politely, or post elsewhere. Fair warning. :)