1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Mixing Speakon cable with normal 1/4" cable

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by DubnBass, Nov 16, 2012.

1. DubnBass

DubnBass

Jul 25, 2010
    Chch NZ
    Is it okay to run a speaker cabinet using a speakon/neutrik cable out of one speaker output of a head for one cabinet, then use the other output with normal 1/4" speaker cable for the other cabinet? I thought it shouldn't be a problem, but just wanted to get a second opinion from the forum-ites!

2. Foz

Foz

Jul 26, 2008
    Jax FL USA
    yeah - its OK - all speakon is a better method but using a 1/4" to jumper over to cab 2 won't hurt anything.

3. Sponsored by:

to hide this ad and more.
  4. arai

arai

Jul 16, 2007
    Make sure you match the ohms if it is a tube amp or don't go below minimum ohms if it is a solid state amp

5. DubnBass

DubnBass

Jul 25, 2010
    Chch NZ
    Awesome! Thanks.

Yeah I'm aware of all that thanks... Running a 4ohm solid-state head with two 8ohm cabinets.

6. arai

arai

Jul 16, 2007
    You're ready to roll then

7. DubnBass

DubnBass

Jul 25, 2010
    Chch NZ
    Thanks! Is there any difference in daisy-chaining cabinets versus using the two separate outputs my head has?

8. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    There will be no difference. I myself prefer to daisy chain (amp output to speaker #1, speaker #1 parallel output to speaker #2) but I don't even remember why I started doing it.

9. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    Those electrons are moving so fast, you will barely notice the time lag difference between parallel outputs and daisy chaining. ;)