Mixing Speakon cable with normal 1/4" cable

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by DubnBass, Nov 16, 2012.

1. DubnBass

DubnBass

Is it okay to run a speaker cabinet using a speakon/neutrik cable out of one speaker output of a head for one cabinet, then use the other output with normal 1/4" speaker cable for the other cabinet? I thought it shouldn't be a problem, but just wanted to get a second opinion from the forum-ites!
  2. Foz

Foz

yeah - its OK - all speakon is a better method but using a 1/4" to jumper over to cab 2 won't hurt anything.
  3. arai

arai

Make sure you match the ohms if it is a tube amp or don't go below minimum ohms if it is a solid state amp
  4. DubnBass

DubnBass

Awesome! Thanks.

Yeah I'm aware of all that thanks... Running a 4ohm solid-state head with two 8ohm cabinets.
  5. arai

arai

You're ready to roll then
  6. DubnBass

DubnBass

Thanks! Is there any difference in daisy-chaining cabinets versus using the two separate outputs my head has?
  7. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

There will be no difference. I myself prefer to daisy chain (amp output to speaker #1, speaker #1 parallel output to speaker #2) but I don't even remember why I started doing it.
  8. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist Supporting Member

Those electrons are moving so fast, you will barely notice the time lag difference between parallel outputs and daisy chaining. ;)