1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

MIXING THE BEST OF REGULAR STINGRAY WITH CLASSIC

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassil, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Bassil

Bassil Supporting Member

Hey all you fine TBers,
    I was wanting some feedback of taking the pre, pickup, and neck from a Stingray Classic and putting them on a regular contoured body. I am not a fan of the mutes, and the slab bobby is just sort of meh to me. It seems like an easy swap to me and I could get that great 2 band sound and the fab neck. Any thoughts would be awesome as I have both and just need one. The slab bodied 3 band with regular neck will then be sold here. I just bought the classic new and got a great deal on it and the 1 year old Ray coming in a few days.
  2. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

play them as is for a while, if you still feel you wanna do this then do it and play them like that for a while. then make your decision. sounds interesting to me.
  3. Bassil

Bassil Supporting Member

I have been playing the Classic a little and really like the neck, the pickup is really just cause its white and a pearl pick guard is in my future. I have enough 3 band basses and like the idea of the warmth of the 2 band. Playing through a Tone Hammer 350 and 4 ohm 210 cab.
  4. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

You can get a non-classic Ray with a 2-band if you want. It won't have the slab body, or 7.25 radius neck, or the mutes. Or if you just want to keep the one you have, you can buy an aftermarket 2 band pre (like the East). I wouldn'g cannabalize the Classic Ray. If you don't like it, sell it.
  5. Bassil

Bassil Supporting Member

Yeah I know it seems a bit ludicrous, but its the neck I like with the figuring and all. I like the MM pre just fine. Maybe I will just swap the bridge then. I can get used to the body I guess. Like I said, I was just getting some other Ray owners to weigh in on the idea. I can always get the other body painted if I want to match the Classic. It is a minimal expense and then just keep both. :D
  6. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

I say go for it. they're your basses and all.
  7. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

the only problem i see with the pre swap is the jack location. putting the 2-band into the new SR would leave a hole on the side of the body where the jack originally was and putting the 3-band into the classic means you'd hae to drill a hole into the side for the jack.
  8. Up the dose

Up the dose Supporting Member

A lot of work for one less EQ knob.
  9. Bassil

Bassil Supporting Member

Yes I have thought about that....plugging a hole and getting a refine is no biggie, but putting a new hole in the slab body does present a few more issues....I think I will just keep everything except the slab body and bridge with mutes. Either way I end up with what I want and don't have to spend $1700.00 to get it and have great spare parts for down the road. Thanks for all the input.
  10. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

it would probably be a tad more cost effective to find an earlier EB 2-band SR from the '90s and do a neck swap.
  11. drTSTingray

drTSTingray

The Classic Ray has a strings through bridge so you would have to drill holes through the contoured body. You'd be left with a Classic body with string holes but no string through bridge.

This doesn't sound a good idea to me and you would be left with two basses with vastly reduced re saleability and value.

I'm surprised you can't get on with a slab body Ray - I find little difference in that context and I have a beer gut!!!

You could always use the regular 2 band Ray with an after market muting kit. You could temporarily swap the necks if you really are that keen. The key is to keep both complete instruments so you could convert them back to stock if you ever want to sell them.
  12. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

my post was going off the OP, not the second post where he mentioned swapping the bridges.
  13. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Sponsored by Jagermeister Supporting Member

If your only real complaint is the mutes, then just unscrew the bridge, unscrew the mute plate then reinstall the bridge.

If your two complaints are the mutes and no contours, then find a late 80's Ray, it will have a glossed neck and many available with the 2eq. Then remove the mute plate with the same instructions as above.
  14. Bassil

Bassil Supporting Member

Finding an earlier Ray might work out then. As far as the bridge goes, the string through and the mutes as well as the visual aesthetics were the main reason for the thought of the swap. I was just thinking that if I could achieve the exact configuration of Ray that I wanted and still be well under the cost of the Classic, then it would be worthwhile. The consensus seems to be to wait and find the older style.
    I really was trying to make this my final piece of the bass puzzle for me. I have had just about everything bass wise that I could ever want. And my wife has been patient with me for years! Probably started a thread that is pointless in content, and after seeing so many mods and swaps here, I just assumed that someone may have thought this out before me. I thank everyone for their advice and expertise and will continue to seek out information from all of you. Maybe I just like tinkering to much...:meh:
  15. Bassil

Bassil Supporting Member

Ok,
    I'll just keep both.....
  16. BrandonBass

BrandonBass Supporting Member

I wouldnt say its the best of both worlds, I much preferred my 3band to 2band classic in every aspects

Neck --> The oil finished neck feels faster and surprising moved less, the flamed maple neck needs tweaking once in awhile for optimum action

Body--> 3bander = lighter and more sleek

Preamp --> the 2 band just doesnt cut through, no hate. I have a 89 2band stingray as well and it sounds better than the stingray classic. The classic has too scooped of a tone imo
  17. Red Planet

Red Planet

Disclosures:
    Manufacturing Supplier OEM's
    Please do not hurt the Classic.
    Join a Tibetan Monastery and seek enlightenment before proceeding with this heinous crime. :)