1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Mixing two octave pedals..

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by johnnyneptune, Feb 19, 2013.

1. johnnyneptune

johnnyneptune

Since i cant find any pedals (in my price range) that do octave up and down at the same time, i was thinking of having two different octave pedals. Like one OC3 or 288 and an EBS Octabass one the high setting. Thing is, will it bug out? Like if i engage the OC3, the the EBS, will i get a bunch of octaved notes stacked on top of each other? Will it just glitch out? Ive searched and couldn't find anything on this.

2. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

I believe the EHX POG does up and down at the same time.

3. Jungy

Jungy

I use an Aguilar octamizer in front of an Akai unibass. It works. Alternatively you can split the signal chain.

4. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

It sure does. I'm hoping to get one.

OP: If you can afford two pedals, I'd say the micro POG is within your range. It tracks very well, too.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. insomniac2295

insomniac2295

Yeah the EHX POG will equal the cost of two analog octave pedals anyways. Just do it

7. johnnyneptune

johnnyneptune

Hmm, sounds like a good buy. Does it track as well as the OC3 or 288?

8. johnnyneptune

johnnyneptune

Never mind! Looks the micro POG is up. Sounds great guys, thanks.

9. insomniac2295

insomniac2295

Yeah the Micro POG is notable for its impeccable tracking

10. alec

alec

The POG octave down sounds different to analogue pedals (like OC-2, M288), just be aware of that. It's the trade off for a digital octave. But hey, you might like it even more.

11. willsellout

willsellout

Definitely different. Really clean tracking and tones, not as funky. I have an OC-2 and a POG 2 is my next purchase. They don't come up used very often though, which sucks.

12. johnnyneptune

johnnyneptune

Hmm, that's a tough decision then. I definitely want the dubby/smooth-like tone of the mxr.. I'm guessing there's no compromise between the two?

13. MADChuudoku

MADChuudoku

get whichever octave up pedal you want and get an OC2 for the fat fat analogue octave down, then stick each one in the different loops of something like a Boss LS-2 set to AB MIX, then adjust the levels to taste

this is what i currently do with my two octave down effects (so i can blend the massive sound of the OC2 with the digital synth sound of the markbass synth)

14. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

The Exar Octavium could be for you.

15. Basehead

Basehead Now with even more synthy goodness...

Hey Will, there are a few available on thegearpage.net. I have both since the octave down sounds different. I prefer the OC-2, but the POG2 is capable of MANY more sounds.

16. Swift713

Swift713

I should be receiving a Pollyanna any day now. It does analog octaves, one up and two down. I'll let you know how it sounds. I had a micro POG and indeed tracks exceptionally but the tones were not great without a filter or some kind of distortion after it. My favorite for octaves so far was the BMS.

17. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO

18. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

I love doing this to either glitch it out or to whammy it or to add a synthy tone....

I use the following in some form together or separate

Boss OC-2 with synth mod
    Madbean Lowrider
    EHX HOG

All have direct blends to blend in each others touch....and it gives me the best of analog and digital worlds.

19. MightyMiloQuinn

MightyMiloQuinn Supporting Member

Also, take a look at the Gojira Octaver. A bit cheaper than Micro POG, and hand made including custom artwork. It has one octave up and 2 octaves down. I have no personal experience with the pedal, but it's definitely on my list. Here's a link:
    http://www.etsy.com/listing/105199793/the-gojira-octaver?

20. MightyMiloQuinn

MightyMiloQuinn Supporting Member

21. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Yeah, the Micro POG is a lot cleaner, perhaps sterile. It's a great sound for some people, though. I dig it. The roughness of analog octave pedals frustrates me. Most other pedals, I'd prefer analog, but the octaver has gotta be digital for me.