1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

MM 3-way for Single-Parallel-Single

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Squanch72, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Squanch72

Squanch72

Anyone know how to wire the DPDT on,on,on switch for a Musicman passive to be so you have one pole single coil, then parralel, then the other pole single coil. It is wired single, parallel, series now but thought I would try to try that wiring but have struck out for a wiring diagram.

2. Cadfael

Cadfael

Hot from the pot ("left arm") has to be soldered to the two connectors in the middle.

One wire should already be soldered to Ground. This stays at Ground (or has to be removed from the switch and soldered to Ground - pot housing).
    One wire is soldered diagonal. Solder this cable to Ground (pot housing), too.

Now two wired remain.
    One has to be soldered at the "left" two contacts,
    one has to be soldered at the "right" two contacts.

3. Squanch72

Squanch72

Cadfael,
    Here is the stock wiring, so do I just connect green to the other pin directly across from it, and the same with the white at the opposite end? White hot seems to be already soldered to the proper terminals.
    View attachment 310069

4. line6man

line6man

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bobster

Bobster

Cadfael,

Just be aware both of the single coil modes are going to hum. Since you have one position single coil now, it will be more of the same.

All the best,

Bob

7. Cadfael

Cadfael

Thanx line6man!

What you described sounded like row 3 in the upper left box.
    What I made of it was row 3 in the upper right box ...

Only difference, that I solder the "red dot wire" to both right and the "grey dot wire" to both left connectors (result is the same - as you see in the lower middle box).

8. line6man

line6man

Actually, it's not a good idea to do it that way. Using two poles to do the work of one increases the switch pop in some cases.

9. Squanch72

Squanch72

I bought this bass used and it was supposed to be split, parallel, series, but if you look at my pic of the switch doesn't it look like it is already, coil, parallel, coil? Or am I wrong. Sorry this is my first attempt at guitar electronics that is more than resoldering a ground that came loose. I have a alnico V pickup that I want to try out. If it is already set up correct at the switch I probably can swap wire for wire.

10. Cadfael

Cadfael

You are right!

This looks like SC/parallel/SC ...
    Take a small coin. Put down the volume (!!!) of the amp and put the coin onto the magnets. This let's you hear which coil is on in which position.

You will hear a more silent click even on the coil which is out (because that's enough for the other coil to react). But there is a differnece between a coil on or off.

Instead of a small/light coin, you can also use a screw driver, but a coin isn't as "sharp" as the tip of a srcewdriver ...
    The middle position might be not so loud as the single coil position(s) but you here both coils ...

11. Squanch72

Squanch72

Thanks for the coin tip, yeah definitely already, split coil, parallel, split coil right now. I had thought it was set stock and what I thought was the series position I didn't care for which is actually the neck side coil. So now the debate is should I try single bridge coil, parralel, series switching out?

12. Cadfael

Cadfael

Depends on the output ...

A series wiring would have a huch higher output than SC or parallel.
    Many pre-amp sections don't like this.

Therefore I was not wondering why you didn't want series anymore.
    You can try - but often, it's too much ...

Let's try the other way around. Which sound are you missing?

13. Squanch72

Squanch72

I guess maybe a little warmer sound at times, why I figured switch from ceramic to Alnico and then switch the series for the rear coil soloed and tone rolled off at times. I guess I was thinking Stingray alnico, Sterling Ceramic in my mind. And then I got to guessing too much over the bass already changed from the stock, is the sereis sound somthing I should check out, most likely not like you said. You are right, I think just stay with coil/parralel/coil setup and try out the new pickup. I also wanted to learn enough to swap pickups and this is a cheap and simple enough bass to practice. And also for a cheaper bass, this Fernandes Atlas 4X has a nice neck, body, and feel to it, so that I would spruce it up a little, since it is a keeper.

14. Squanch72

Squanch72

Wanted to thank you all for your help. I did the pickup swap this morning which was my first ever pickup swap, it came out great just a few burns on me lol. So glad I switched the stock pup to the GFS alnico MM, more growly then bitey like I like. 3 way switch front coil, parallel, rear coil and dead quiet in all positions. Can't beat the GFS pup for $44 shipped.