1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

MM/J pickup choice?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MaxOnBass, Dec 15, 2013.

1. MaxOnBass

MaxOnBass

Hello Forum, I've got a few questions you guys might be able to help me out with.. I'm getting a custom built bass soon, it's gonna be a maple/maple neck with an ash body (bolt on), 34" five string with an MM pickup in bridge and a J pickup in the neck position. Now, for the bridge I've picked out SD Basslines SMB-5A MusicMan style pickup (heard it, played it, liked it) but then two questions came into my mind.. the more important one is which J pickup would you recommend me to compliment the MM I mentioned (it should be SD)? I'm looking for a relatively modern full funky sound.. the second question would be about the possibility of wiring these two pickups in a vol - bal - tone - tone - S/P/S switch (for MM) setup?
    Any help and suggestions would be welcome, thanks in advance :bassist:

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Well, since you've already chosen the bridge pickup it would probably be best to contact Seymour Duncan and find out which pickup is recommended as a match for it. The wiring diagrams you need are also on their website, what you are looking to do is a very simple hookup so there shouldn't be any issues.

MaxOnBass likes this.
  3. MaxOnBass

MaxOnBass

Great, just wanted to check about the wiring since I don't know jack about it.. I've sent a mail but I'm always more interested to hear the actual users' opinion :)
    Thanks for the help

4. line6man

line6man

Personally, I wouldn't bother with a blend pot. You have pickups of very dissimilar output impedances, so blending will be inherently problematic. Reducing the MM's volume will boost the J's volume, as the input impedance on the J pickup increases. Switching-based schemes tend to be more practical.

MaxOnBass likes this.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MaxOnBass

MaxOnBass

Seems logical, I'll definitely consider it with my luthier.. thanks!

7. mmbongo

That's never been a problem with any other properly matched J/MM setups.

MaxOnBass likes this.
  8. line6man

line6man

Depends on the player's preferences. It bothers some people, while others are fine with it.

MaxOnBass likes this.
  9. MaxOnBass

MaxOnBass

So, the blend is gone, I'm doing a five way switch.. as for the pickup, any ideas? The guys at the SD forum mentioned Quarter Pound J but wouldn't it be a bit too aggressive?

also thanks for the help again :)

10. mmbongo

Not as aggressive as the bridge pickup you have :)

MaxOnBass likes this.
  11. MaxOnBass

MaxOnBass

Haha I guess you are right.. I was thinking about getting a balance with a smoother J pickup but what the hell! :)

12. Lorenzini

Lorenzini Supporting Member

Get the lower output Seymour Duncan Basslines SBJ. Goes great with the SD MM.

MaxOnBass likes this.
  13. MaxOnBass

MaxOnBass

hmm.. interdasting.. can't find any good clips of it though..

14. Lorenzini

Same bass player. Nothing guarantees you'll sound like him though. ;)

MaxOnBass likes this.
  15. MaxOnBass

MaxOnBass

DAMN! That guy has one fat-ass grizzly bear of a sound! Well yeah, it's not really an objective recording since he has a lot of stuff in his signal chain so.. back to the Batcave :/

I think I'll just dive in and buy the QP..

16. Lorenzini

Really? What does he have in his signal chain?

Pretty sure he just plugs straight in, tunes half a step down, and has VERY low action for that sound.

But yeah, grizzly as heck!

MaxOnBass likes this.
  17. MaxOnBass

MaxOnBass

Well, an active onboard preamp, the head, cab, acoustics and other instruments, mic etc influence the sound enough that I can't really get objective information on how the pickup itself sounds..

18. Lorenzini

I hear you on that, but you can hear his more pure tone in the solo thumb picking one where he describes his gear -- an Aguilar Tone Hammer 500 and a 1x12.

Otherwise, you can check these videos out:

Might help... Dude just goes through a GK 1001rb head and some 4x10's. A standard setup which you should be able to hear "through".

Of course the pre might be something entirely custom or whatever, but the pickups still have their signature sound.

MaxOnBass likes this.
  19. MaxOnBass

MaxOnBass

Got it, much clearer now.. thanks a bunch for sending me the vids! :)
    Now I'm again thinking should I get this one or the QP.. both sound pretty good to me.. bah!

20. Lorenzini

Yeah both will be cooool. Just depends on what you're going for in terms of jazz pickup strength and balls.