1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

MM / P New Build Question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by DanSRX, Feb 19, 2014.

1. DanSRX

DanSRX

Hello,

Having been a member here for a while (more of a stalker really) I have recently delved into the Luthier's Corner. Which was a huge mistake. There are some splendid custom builds and various projects going on that are very inspirational. The basses you guys & girls have made are awesome, and its nice to follow the threads and see them coming along.

I'm not going to bore you any more and I apologise if this is in the wrong section but I have a little question.

I will start my build very shortly, I'm pretty much ready to go, but I need to work out the electronics to finalise my design.

I'm going for an MM / P set up. Not to sound dumb but MM PUP (Bridge) & P PUP (Neck).

I just have no idea what pre amp config I would need / Pot numbers/ switch etc??

I have decided on Nordys NP4, and MM4.2.

The bass wont win any design awards or anything but i'm looking forward to give it a bash and hopefully share the stages with you nice bunch.

I know the question is quite vague, but lets say I would like the MM to be in series and as for the P PUP, I have had no experience with these what so ever?

Apologies in advance :D
  2. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

This is an MPG Level 5 P/MM I used to have.

It has Nordstrand Signature Series pickups. Not sure which exact model on the MM.

The preamp is an Aguilar OBP-3. The controls are Volume, Blend, Mid boost/cut with push-pull to change the mid center frequency, and stacked knob Treble and Bass boost/cut.

I hope this helps.

[​IMG]
  3. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Hangin' w/the Luthier Corner homies means never having to say you're sorry... :smug: - looking forward to your build mate!

Here's my own P/MM build -

Tele fretless - maple reconfigured and radically ergo sculpted Tele (string-thru) guitar body w/de-fretted maple (Allparts) P/Tele bass neck, Bill Lawrence P/Wilkinson bucker, custom-cut pg & finish, Tonestyler tone pot, three way pu selector toggle, '66 Mustang lollypop tuners, string tree and hootenanny peg. Can you say "mwaahhh"?
    [​IMG]
  4. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Casting out the nines Supporting Member

I nearly did a P/MM setup on a custom bass and my plan was to use all Nordstrand electronics.

But to avoid the pickups being mismatched I was going to try to use a pair of MM4.4s (or MM5.4s if I did a five string) in an interesting configuration.

I figured I'd put a standard MM4.2 at the bridge and then have the Nordstrand crew stuff two coils of an MM4.2 into a Precision housing. I emailed Adrian and he said that was doable.

Then, since the standard positions for the P and MM overlap I was thinking I'd do a reverse P leaving the EA coil in the normal position but flipping the DG coil around to the neck side.

Add in a custom Nordstrand MM preamp with either a pickup blend knob or a 3 position selector switch and you'd have a unique P/MM setup.

I especially dug the idea after seeing johnk_10s Jazzmaster builds where he used a single MM4.2 closer to the neck with a classic Stingray 2-band preamp and said he got very close to a P bass sound.

Here's a soundclip:
    http://johnkvintageguitars.homestead.com/jazzmasterbass/audio/bass1.mp3

And another with a pick. In this one he plays the same four bars with the MM4.2 split first as a traditional P, then a reverse P, all coils in parallel (like a traditional Stingray), all coils in series and then back to the P bass setting.

http://johnkvintageguitars.homestead.com/jazzmasterbass/audio/goldbasswithpic.mp3

Good luck!
  5. DanSRX

DanSRX

Oh wow, I really like those basses you guys posted. Really nice finishes on them too! And Some top advice also. OK, after taking your advice I think I am leaning towards the switch selector type (assuming that can be MM (both coils) Then MM & P , then just P? Volume, Bass, Treb, Mid, Sorted!

I think! :eyebrow:

If this has worked I attached a rough design (I think it helps me if I can see it and not just on paper).

Feel free to suggest or criticize it if you like. Its a mash up of an ATK, Musicman and P-bass. And I was thinking of going for the colours of the ATK800 (including the rosewood guard). But I'm not too sure now I have seen both of the other basses finishes in this post.

Attached Files:

6. DanSRX

DanSRX

Bloody Hell iv'e never seen these before, and the samples sound great too. Its good that he approached the whole idea differently too. Because it just looks like he moved the pick up towards the neck more, but its actually what is under the shell too which changes it.