1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

MM replacement pickup HELP

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Rigz, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Rigz

Rigz

I have a Stingray 5 clone body without a pickup. What should I put in it and why? Thanks!
  2. Wolffgang

Wolffgang Supporting Member

I'll start you off with the obligatory 'what are your tonal goals/influences?' question, and a more qualified TBer should be along shortly to take your order :p

My only suggestion would be one of Seymour Duncan's replacements; I have yet to hear one of their pickups I didn't like, and it comes in both an Alnico and Ceramic version, depending on your preference.
  3. basswave

basswave Execuse me but your I-IV-V is in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsments listed in profile
    Check the sticky that I started.
  4. Dogghouse

Dogghouse

Disclosures:
    Bass Guy @ Seymour Duncan
    Loaded question. Cannot answer without more info regarding your expectations of sound.
  5. Rigz

Rigz

I'm lookin for something mid-rangy and punchy. Not looking for something aggressive.
  6. mmbongo

mmbongo Supporting Member

7. mcnach

mcnach

This.

The SMB5A in particular is sweet.
  8. Rigz

Rigz

I also need something that will fit under a stingray pickguard with the ears.
  9. Rigz

Rigz

The MM I have doesn't currently have a pickguard, but has the screw holes for it. The pickup cavity is much bigger than pickups I've been looking at. Will this be a problem? Sorry for the questions I'm very new to this building a bass thing.
  10. Rigz

Rigz

I'm really liking the MV5CBC, but my only concern is how it will fit physically into the bass? And which preamp is best paired with it, considering my tone preferences?
  11. mmbongo

That's normal....the pickguard (when you get one) will cover all that up.
  12. mmbongo

Probably best to figure out exactly what shape/size you need then look at the different sized Barts (if that's what you decide on) to get the one that fits.

http://www.bestbassgear.com/bartolini-pickups-2.htm
    Look down the page for the 5 string Music Man pickups, they have three different sizes.

In my soundclips, the preamp used is an Aguilar OBP-3. A Bart pre would be good as well.
  13. Rigz

Rigz

Thank you very much bongo, you've been extremely helpful and I am eternally grateful. Thank you for enduring my slew of questions, everyone!

Just one more..know of anyone who makes aftermarket pick guards that will fit my bass? It's not an olp or EBMM. No name on the headstock.
  14. basswave

basswave Execuse me but your I-IV-V is in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsments listed in profile
    http://pickguards.us/pricemusicman.html