1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

MM SR users - What are your settings?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Big Benner, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Big Benner

Big Benner

Hey all,

I've had my Ernie Ball Music Man StingRay5 for a couple of years now and have only recently started playing with the bass's EQ and pickup lever switch. What are the EQ settings that you're using on the bass, the rigs you're playing out of and the type of music you're playing?

For me, 95% of the time I'm using the 3 band EQ set flat (centre detent) and the pickup lever switch on the coils 1&2 (the switch is towards the bridge) position. Lately I've been adding a touch of bass boost for the entire 2 or 3 band rehearsals that I've done, plus decreasing the Treble for some songs (for mellow blues) and switching to the coil 1+2 (the switch toward the neck) pickup position for other songs (for aggressive finger songs). I've been running it straight into a Markbass 102P (2x10 combo amp) while recently adding a BOSS LMB-3 for just a smidgen of squash (I can just barely hear it ingage but it's making my finger funk tunes stand out). My Blues & Rock cover band mostly as my original band is taking a break.

Attached Files:

2. solderjunkie

solderjunkie

90% of the time: selector to "parallel" (toward bridge), slight boost to treble, center detent on mid and bass. Circle K balanced tension strings. Genz Benz 900SL into a Mesa PH112 and a sealed 115 Kappalite 3015.
  3. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

On my SR5's, series position (switch towards the neck) with the mids boosted a bit. Maybe a little bass boost depending on the room.

On my 2 band SR4's, bass & treble to about 75%.
  4. Geri O

Geri O

Stingray 5 w/ 3-band pup (ceramic, too, yuk, yuk...:))

Switch all the way toward the bridge, all 3 EQ controls set flat, volume wide open. They've been that way since I first laid hands on it.

Once during a Sunday morning rehearsal, I set the switch all the way toward the neck to get less of the scooped sound. The director/keyboardist looked at me a couple of times, so I put the switch back to the position all the wat toward the bridge. He smiled, gave me a thumbs up, and I haven't moved the switch since.

Geri O
  5. bassplayer7770

bassplayer7770

I play my SR5 HS with all eq at center detents, volume all the way up, and the switch is essentially in the J - Bass position (2nd setting from neck). At least that was the preferred setting in my last band who did largely Pop and Rock covers. At the time, I played through a Tonehammer pedal as a DI. Now I have a GK 1001RB-II amp and play through an LDS 15/6 cab.
  6. Big Benner

Big Benner

Thanks so much everyone, I really appreciate knowing that I'm not too far off from what most are setting to.

Addition: I'm using D'darrio XL's currently but will be putting on new Ernie Ball (the standard pack in green packaging that most music stores stock) in a day or so before this weekends gig. I'll put in my thoughts and experience in the String section layer next week.
  7. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Disclosures:
    GHS Strings, HipShot Products, Pick Guy custom picks
    Ceramic pickup. Bass - 2:00, mid - center (noon), treble - 10:30 to 11:00, switch in the parallel position (back). This is my base setting. It gets me in close to the same low end territory as my Jazz Basses. I alter the mids and bass a bit depending on the tone I'm going for. My plucking hand moves from place to place, also.

D'Addario XL's were the worst string for me, on the Stingray 5. You're adding high mids to a 'honk heavy' bass. But, to each his own.
  8. Big Benner

Big Benner

"Ceramic pickup" - how do I know which pickup is in my Stingray 5 (3 band EQ) please?
  9. Big Benner

Big Benner

Stone Soup, which strings did you find the best?

I'm going on a string finding mission this year = a new, different set of strings every 2 months or so to find out some of the differences and to see what I like.
  10. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Disclosures:
    GHS Strings, HipShot Products, Pick Guy custom picks
    RE: "Ceramic pickup"
    I don't have information on dates for the different pickups in front of me. I looked it up, once. I think, in 2008 the pickups were changed from ceramic to alnico. There is info on the Internet.

RE: Strings
    The strings I used, for the longest time, are Dunlop nickels. They worked great and lasted, for me. I've used GHS Pressure Wound on it. They lasted for a long time and sounded great. Right now, I'm using medium GHS Boomers. They *sound good for a long time.

*I'm not looking to keep the springy - zingy sound forever. I like a clear, full sounding strings that keep a consistent sound over their life.