1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

MM Stingray 5 or Carvin BB76

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TrebleFreeZone, Jan 28, 2014.

1. TrebleFreeZone

TrebleFreeZone

Hello fellow TBers! I have the opportunity to get a new bass in the next few weeks or so. But the decision comes down to a Music Man Stingray 5 or a Carvin Bunny Brunel sig 6 string. I know it all comes down to personal preference, but tell me what you guys think! :D
  2. chucko58

chucko58 Supporting Member

I'd lean towards the Carvin BB76, having previously owned one. With the right pickup combo it will be more versatile than the Stingray. Both are narrow spaced instruments IIRC.
  3. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Sponsored by Jagermeister Supporting Member

Depends greatly on how much characteristic voice you want in that bass. I've owned an LB76, which I consider to be on the polite or more transparent side of the spectrum.
    I've owned several StingRay 5's and prefer them because they are more ballsy or aggressive in character to their tone, which works better for what I do.
  4. mmbongo

mmbongo Supporting Member

Want a 6 string? BB76 is the obvious choice.

Want a 5 string? BB75 :)

I can't take the weight and poor G string on the Stringray 5, they weigh a ton. You can get a BB configured how you want it and this design is the best one Carvin offers if you ask me.
  5. nurnay

nurnay

^^ This
  6. WJGreer

WJGreer

Interesting choice. I had an LB75 about 10 years ago, and I thought its electronics were its weak point. I had a Stingray 5 about 5 years ago, and I thought its electronics were its strong point.

The 'Ray has a distinctive voice. The Carvin kind of sounds like a bass. Carvin electronics seem to have improved a lot in the last 10 years, though.

But - build quality and feel on Carvins is way underrated. They are often light, tight, and have great necks. Stingrays are sort of blunt instruments; built well but of thick heavy wood with necks that feel like baseball bats.

That is truly a choice between two really different basses.
  7. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

I'll admit, I'm a Carvin fanboy. :hyper:

I've been playing my LB76 for almost 20 years. I own 4 other basses but the Carvin is my go-to axe.

The newer Carvin basses have even better electronics than mine. Fit and finish are great. They are excellent "bang for your buck" instruments. I use mine for modern country, vintage country, jazz, classic rock, pop, pit orchestra work, and even in church.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
  8. Sbociol

Sbociol

I used to own a Carvin LB75 (first model with the offset dot inlays on the fretboard) and it was one of the most amazingly sounding and playing instruments I ever owned, I really kick myself for letting it go, I'd pick one over a MM any day.
  9. TrebleFreeZone

TrebleFreeZone

Thanks for your guys' input! I currently own a Lb75 and love it to death, so I'm sure I'll feel right at home with another Carvin. I currently play in my adult praise and worship team and in two separate youth bands. I'm also in jazz ensemble at school. So a single pickup bass may be too balsy and not versatile enough for those fields.
  10. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

I have owned a Carvin LB20 and currently have a Sting Ray 5. The Carvin got lost in the mix (I bought it to record with) and eventually I traded it off. The SR5 can be aggressive but it can be tamed down, also. I much prefer the fat neck over the skinny Carvin, and the MusicMan is ergonomically so superior to the Carvin shape, at least for me.

For what it's worth, I bought the 'Ray from the bass player in a local jazz group -- and he played it quietly enough that he complained about the fan noise in his Mesa/Boogie Walkabout amp. True story: a band mate told him that, if he could hear the fan, he ought to "turn it up." He may be the only bass player I know who has heard those words!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

+1

I own 2 SR5's and both of them are right around 9 lbs, one of them is slightly less actually.
  12. TrebleFreeZone

TrebleFreeZone

Wow that MM is gorgeous! Major GAS right now!
  13. inate_hex

inate_hex

MM5 for me
  14. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

4 string Stingrays have baseball bat necks (I hear). The 5 strings have great feeling necks. Not bat-like at all.

A pre-2008 SR5 (thus having ceramic pickups) is my favorite bass sound, so that is definitely what I'd pick. Or, if buying new, a EBMM Sterling 5, as they have the same electronics as pre-2008 Stingray 5s.
  15. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Thank you. You ought to see it on a stand next to my fiesta red Classic '50 P and my bright yellow '51 P RI. :D
  16. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

The measurements are almost the same as a Fender B neck. Nothing close to a baseball bat neck IMO.
  17. nashman

nashman

If you already have a Carvin, get a Ray for something different
  18. JHOODII

JHOODII

I have A stingray 4 with 3band EQ I'm trying to sell. How do I post pics?