1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Mod DIY persuader, anyone?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by midichlorine, Apr 9, 2014.

1. midichlorine

midichlorine Supporting Member

2. ximaipa

ximaipa Supporting Member

I bought the pedal probably six months ago and need to set some time aside to build it. Not too long after I bought the Persuader they came out with a deluxe version featuring four different tubes, led and 3PDT footswitch. I would have bought the deluxe version as now I'll need to buy an led and drill a hole, and I kind of light the option of four tubes. Looks like it'll be a fun build except I have never build one without a circuit board. Let me know if you build one.

3. etherealme

etherealme Supporting Member

FYI, tubes and more a.k.a. antique electronic supply has this available for $7.00 cheaper than the site you listed. I am not affiliated with them, but I was looking at doing this pedal build myself after perusing for some potentiometers and other parts for my jazz build.
    Play on!

4. Feral Feline

Feral Feline Supporting Member

One of the things I don't like about the Mod kits is the way the tube sticks up so much.
    I've no need for a battery inside the pedal, preferring a power supply; so the space for the battery would be better used to house the tube horizontally, for my druthers.

Anybody modded a Mod kit in this way? Tube horizontal low-profile? Slots in enclosure for heat dissipation? Mount it horizontally but only half inside, so it sticks out but not more than the knobs?

[​IMG] vs
    [​IMG]

I realise it's cheaper and easier to mount a tube the way Mod has done, but ultimately it's impractical once built.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. etherealme

etherealme Supporting Member

I REALLY like the look of that Blackstar pedal. I am assuming that is not a DIY kit pedal though. You could ostensibly use your own aluminum project box and buy all of the components yourself, mounting the tube sideways and using that hatch with the four screws for easy change-out as a guide. You would need a schematic though; and some good 3 part paint. ;P

7. Feral Feline

Feral Feline Supporting Member

Blackstar has a whole line of pedals that look like the one above; and you are correct, none are DIY. I don't have the skills to mod the Mod, at least not yet.