1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Modded LMB-3 compressor

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kringle77, Jun 8, 2012.

1. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

I've been trying out a bunch of compressors lately and have found that the one I always prefer is my trusty old Boss LMB-3. So, I decided to send it out to get modded, just to see if I can like it even more. Im sending it to stephen mckinley. If I like it enough, I may send out my old one that is mounted in a single space rack with a sparkle overdrive. I just wanted to get this thread started and should have an update in a couple of weeks.

2. kringle77

My comp arrived at stephen mckinley's place yesterday and I think that he's shipping it back today. How's that for a fast turn around! I'll probably have it on monday or tuesday. Cool.

3. kreider204

kreider204

I too have the LMB-3 and like it very much. If you don't mind me asking, is there something specific about it that you hope to have improved? (I can think of a couple of possibilities, but I'd like to hear what you think first.)

4. kringle77

Alittle less high end loss mostly. Maybe it will just improve the over all sound.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. kreider204

kreider204

Hmm, that wasn't one of them. :) I haven't noticed high end loss. I do notice some "pumping" if I try to use more than moderate settings - which is fine, since I rarely do. I've also seen reviews that claims that it "clicks" sometimes, though I haven't experienced that unless I try using it with guitar.

Let me know how it goes.

7. kringle77

I got the comp but have only had literally 5 minutes to spend with it. In short, yes the mod improves the sound. At the moment I can't quite explain what it is but, it's noticable. It sounds more "real" and less plastic on top. It sounds alittle clearer in the treble range but then maybe the super highs are rolled off to get rid of any noise. I have to spend some time with it and then get back with more info. The mod is worth it for the price, IMHO.

8. kreider204

kreider204

Thanks for the feedback, will wait to hear more.

I just saw your location in Massena NY. I grew up in St. Lawrence County, went to high school and college in Potsdam. I'm actually at my dad's place in Fowler as I type, but heading back to Wisconsin tomorrow, though. I do miss the North Country! :)

9. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc

Wait a minute, you sent it away to have it modded, but can't describe what's different about it? What did you ask the modder to do? I'm just curious what mod he said he was going to do, or if this is a standard advertised mod, can you point me to it?

10. kringle77

I compared the modded one directly with my un-modded one. I still haven't had time to get back to comparing them though. The modded version is clearer. It doesn't sound like alot of extra high end, it sounds like your bass but compressed, without the high end loss you get from the stock pedal. The whole sounds is more "real" and less "plasticy" for lack of a better term. There may be a touch more true low end as well but, I won't know until I try it with my full rig and big cab. I ran both pedals in line and switch back and forth between them into a shuttle 9.0 and my lds sealed 15/8. If I ran through a full range or pa cab, Im sure that the differences would be much more pronounced. My stock version is built into a rackmount and when my shedule slows down a bit, I may send it in to be modded as well. For less than $50 you can buy a used one then have it modded. You would have about $130 (including shipping) invested in what I consider to be the best bass compressor out there. Of course, my Origin Cali 76 hasn't arrive yet. That may change things. You can't lose with the pedal and mod.

11. synchromesh

synchromesh

Hi kringle77,

Have you had a chance to spend some more time with your modded LMB-3? I'm trying to decide between the Steve McKinley-modded LMB-3 you have or a modded-for-bass CS-3 (probably from http://www.pedalmods.com/ as I'm in the UK) so I'm very interested to hear more about your impressions of your pedal.

Cheers,

John :^P

12. kringle77

I've owned both of those. The modded LMB-3 is WAY better for bass and is an improvement over the un-modded version. There is less noise, the compression is smoother and the notes sound alittle fuller higher up on the neck. I've used an un-modded one that I had installed into a rackmount for over 10 years and am thinking about sending in my rack to have it modded as well. My vote is for a modded lmb3 500%.

13. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Supporting Member

Sorry to bump up an old thread, but I'm curious - which of his two mods did you have done?

Thanks!

14. kringle77

I don't remember now but, they sound good. I could get by with the stock version just fine and thats what I still used live since it is built into a rackmount but, the modded version does sound a bit better and definitley worth the money. I bring the modded pedal to gigs where there is already an amp or when I need to go direct to the board. A really good purchase.

15. HeavyDuty

Does it have an LED that indicates compression? (Not the usual pilot light.)

16. kringle77

No. It indicates the pedal on/off or in/out.

17. HeavyDuty

I think that's his "Thunder" mod. Thanks for the report!

18. kringle77

It is definitely worth getting the mod if you want the lmb3 to be alittle more clear and direct sounding. I actually prefer either version to my really nice origin audio cali76 for bass. I've always loved the lmb3 and was mad at myself years ago when I tried it as a last resort before a gig and then realized that I had been avoiding it for years because it was just "a cheap boss pedal". It sounds great.

19. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

Small world! I'm also a former North Country person! Did my undergrad at Crane and then lived in Plattsburgh for 2 years.

20. kringle77

I went to potsdam state and hung out at crane a bit. My brother lives in plattsburgh. It's tough for a gear geek like me living in the north country. It's pretty much just me and Lomo. Everybody else is pretty clueless about bass gear, and tone in general. If he ever moves 100% to montreal I'll be all alone. :smug:

21. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

Yeah - Northern Music doesn't cut it ;)
    I moved to Chicago years ago and love it! There's so much music here.. I do miss the Adirondacks and Vermont.... but not enough to move back...