Modded SX short scale. Advice? Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KayXero, Dec 4, 2013.

1. KayXero

KayXero

So I ordered an SX short scale PJ bass. Ive been pleased in the past with SX instruments, so I thought Id pull the trigger on a short scale bass that was cheap, in order to see if Id dig the smaller size.

I had leftover parts from an unfinished project build from a few years back, so I planned to use them to mod the short scale SX. I have everything but new pickups ordered.

The problem is that while the electronics and tuners seem like they will fit just fine, the aftermarket bridge is too big. So I then measured the pickups and while the P seems to be about normal size, the J pickup seems slightly smaller than standard. So my two questions are this;

1. Does anyone here have experience modding a short scale SX bass, or another short scale bass (especially PJ basses)? If so, are the sizes the same as standard scale? (because I cant find smaller pickups from online searching)

2a. Is there somewhere I can buy short scale bridges (since the string space and hardware are smaller)? I mean, the stock short scale bridge seems decent enough, but I want something a tad more beefy and in a different color.

2b. If there aren't aftermarket short scale bridges available, does anyone have experience and tips with regards to painting hardware?

Thanks
  2. KayXero

KayXero

sorry for bump, but anyone have short scale mod experience and can help me out? Id like to buy my parts soon so my tech can put everything together.

Thanks.

PS - I have noticed SX aren't as popular as they were a few years back. *sadness*
  3. KayXero

KayXero

Last ditch bump to get info, because I know this thread will get buried by the weekend. Sorry mods.
  4. tothemax

tothemax Supporting Member

I bought an SX SS style neck from Kurt and mounted it on an old Yamaha RX P Bass I had. I call it my Frankenbass. Here's the link my post about it.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/my-ss-frankenbass-really-starting-dig-1033471/

Anyway I found a Music Man knock-off bridge on eBay and it works great.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360678835890?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

As you can see I had to move the bridge since the Yamaha was originally a 34" scale. The neck is from Rondo but it does not have the regular SX headstock - it was on one of their email ads.

Good luck with it...
  5. KayXero

KayXero

Im glad to see the bridge worked out. Im usually very cautious about Chinese sellers on ebay.

Thanks for the suggestion though, however that bridge has different screw holes then what I need. I need something closer to the 5 screw hole fender style. Good little project bass you got there though.
  6. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

The older SX short scales had a bridge with a 2" string spread. The newer ones have a bridge with a 2 1/4" string spread.

You sure you don't have an older one?
  7. KayXero

KayXero

Thats what Im saying. Though the website says 2 1/4", I think I got an older model. I know for sure the bridge is smaller than your typical fender style bridge. The saddles, the bridge and spacing are all smaller. Which is why I was asking about aftermarket options for smaller bridges.

If there arent any I would probably go the paint route (maybe), because my black nickel tuners seem to fit fine. The headstock seems to be the only part of the short scale bass thats the same size as a regular sized SX.

EDIT: PS - I measured the pickups. The precision pickups in my shorty PJ match the exact size of the precision in my regular sized SX PJ. The jazz pickup however, is about 2/16" bigger in the full sized SX vs the short scale SX. I guess I need to just shop around pickups and take a good look at their lengths and widths if I can find that info. Hopefully I can find something that fits. Id like to avoid having to cut into the body or pickguard to accommodate a pickup.
  8. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

9. KayXero

KayXero

Thanks for the suggestion, but that bridge is way too expensive given the cost of the bass.
  10. KayXero

KayXero

Last bump, anyone else have experience swapping pickups in a shortscale SX PJ Bass?
  11. GtenderG

GtenderG Supporting Member

I have an SX shorty in Lake Placid Blue. I dropped in a Fender 62 replacement and replaced the cap with an orange drop .047 cap.
    Currently strung with flats it sounds really good. Nice, warm tone...

The fit of the new pickup was pretty darn spot on on. There is a little space around the outer edges (the rounded part where there the screws go in). It's very minimal but I wouldn't call it a 'perfect' fit. I wouldn't think anyone would take notice of it watching you play it... And that's what matters most...

I am contemplating going completely nuts and dropping an East Retro P pre in it.

I used to own an SX shortscale jazz but I can't remember the Pup size. Sorry.

Good luck with yours.
  12. RED J

RED J Play what you want how you want & quit arggerin ! Supporting Member

A Schaller roller type bridge would do the job, the saddles can be adjusted very readily. I think there may be lest costly licensed clones or similar designs available. Check the web sites such as guitar fetish bass parts resource and search around, I think you'll find what you need.
  13. RED J

RED J Play what you want how you want & quit arggerin ! Supporting Member

PM sent
  14. KayXero

KayXero

Thanks for the info guys. Im feeling confident about the P pickup fit. The J im still researching on sizes to see if I can find something to accommodate my bass without having to route extra space.

Regarding the bridge, I think Im gonna stick with the stock one, but maybe research on how to change its color. Though I appreciate the bridge suggestions that have been made, I do wanna avoid having to drill different holes into the body of the bass.
  15. mazareth

mazareth

Try a Gotoh 201 bridge. It was around $35 shipped when I bought one a years ago.
  16. Immigrant

Immigrant

J pups come in differing widths, the bridge pup being slightly wider than the neck pup. Maybe the one you have was for the other route?

I'm sure if you're patient enough, you'll find a bridge with the right spacing. I sold a Hipshot "A" here once for far less than I paid for it. The "A"s also come in different widths with adjustable string spacing on both. As previously mentioned, Schaller makes a roller bridge with spacing adjustment.

Patience is key when modding.
  17. KayXero

KayXero

Ive been looking at them. Just gotta find some definitive measurements. Im going to the music store today to see if they have one I can measure and compare to the stock SX short scale PJ bridge. The 5 screw holes on the SX short scale bridge are closer together than standard bridges.

I am aware of this. What Im scared of is ordering a jazz bridge pickup and it being too big.

Because of the small scale SX PJ bridge, I need the right sized pickup in order for the string spacing to line up correctly with the pickup magnets.
    True. But as I said, Im trying to hopefully find a bridge that wont force me to drill new holes into the bass body. Something has to be out there. If not, the stock one does do its job.