Modded vs parts bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kael, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Kael

Kael

I was just tweaking the setup on my fretless j and i got to wondering. Is it a parts bass or just heavily modded? I've changed the neck, tuners, pickups, wiring, routed the body some, etc. I don't really consider it a fender any longer, but others might disagree.

So, at what point would you consider a heavily modded bad to no longer be a modded instrument but rather a parts bass?

No tell point to this question. Just curious.

2. ma4rk

ma4rk

It's like your Grandaddy's axe... he had the handle replaced 3 times & a the head/blade replaced twice but it's still the same axe.

3. thebrian

thebrian The Brian abides. Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Well.. this one time.. at band camp..
    Nice^^ I like the Grandaddy's axe. I'd say, once you replace the neck it's a parts bass.

4. VincentGrim

VincentGrim Supporting Member

I believe a parts bass would be when you have assembled a bass from parts from various basses, and called it good beyond a basic set-up. It becomes modded if, say, it was a simple P bass, but you routed more pickups in, an active preamp, and other stuff.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Wallace320

Wallace320

^this

My Fender Steve Harris West ham United Precision is a parts bass

I bought different pieces specifically to be matched up to reach that effect

An unfinished, selected alder Precision body (no stringthru system), a bird's eye maple neck with an American Deluxe flamed maple 21fret fingerboard, mirror Precision pickguard, LeoQuann BadAssII bridge, Gotoh Vintage opengear tuners, Seymour Duncan Antiquity splitcoil pickup
    Finally, I got it hand painted with old West Ham United crest and stripes on it.

That's a pure parts bass to me.

I had many Squier (especially Vintage Modified Jazz and Tele Precision, and Classic Vibe Jazz and '50s Precision) heavily step by step modded with different necks, Hipshot detuners, pickup configuration and positionin', hardware and so on...

Those are (IMHO) modded basses

Cheers,
    Wallace