Mode practice.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Endureth, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Endureth

Endureth

Hi, I'm currently trying to broaden my knowledge of the fretboard and how to move around it. So I've been learning modes.

I can play each one-octave mode anywhere on the fretboard, some two-octave patterns, and can improvise a line within the first position of each mode fairly well.

One exercise I do it come up with a little bassline, then play it in each mode. That started out as a frustrating exercise but has started to become a little more fun as I can do it a little faster now.

What kinds of exercises do you recommend for helping to memorize all these patterns?

2. fmoore200

fmoore200

Chord tone arpeggios, of course :sly:

But seriously, what you are doing now is great, why not go a step bigger and learn songs and then transpose them into different keys

3. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

4. Araman

Araman

Disclosures:
    bass teacher , IBASS-SCHOOL
    you can also take a look here

http://www.ibass-school.com/practising_scales

that means
    for example , in G major scale
    position 1 :you begin with the G note on the 4th string and end with the C note on the 1st string
    then , position 2 , begin with A note on the 4th string and end with the D note on the 1st string
    and so
    when you have well memorized the notes in all position , play a rhythm on a beatbox and try improvisation on G key !

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Endureth

Endureth

These are all good suggestions, I will look farther into them. The exercises in Febs post, I pretty much do already anyway, so I will just continue to do those. I actually play through all the modes starting on the root in each position instead of the way he explained in the post so I do that one, just differently.