1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Model J: HUmbucking series/paralell: 3 pots!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by heavyfunkmachin, Nov 26, 2012.

1. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

HI!

I recently got myself a set of Di marzio Model J (2 Humbucking pickups under a single coil cover) and i want to make a 3 pots push/pull control plate.

I found this diagram: http://studio939.zenfolio.com/img/v3/p245184179-4.jpg

It's just what I need... BUT I want to make sure I got the pull/push options right.... here's what I need:

NECK VOL: push=paralell / Pull= series
    BRIDGE VOL: push=paralell / Pull= series
    TONE: Both neck & Bridge pickups: push=paralell / Pull= series

I cant wrap my mind around the push pull pots conectors!!

RIght now I have it wired with only 2 push/pull conectors, like the dimarzio scheme (Left one!): http://www.dimarzio.com/sites/default/files/diagrams/ModelJ.pdf

This is fine, but I have both pickups the other way around what I want (they are push=series/Pull=paralell) and I want to invert this and add the tone pot push/pull...

anyone can give me pointers? :help:
  2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

Don't bother with a parallel/series split for individual inline Js.
    It's worthless, no change in tone, just a slight volume boost in series. YOu might as well use your volumes.
    Parallel series between pickups is much mor einteresting.
  3. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

???

I don't understand your statement!

I actually played last night with the set of DiMarzios Js with 2 push/pull pots and I did hear a tone difference, not only in volume, between series & Paralell...

And My main jazz has a series/paralell option with it's standart single coisl, and I also enjoy it!

Am I missing something? your post wasnt really clear about what setting you appreciate and whichone you despite...
  4. line6man

line6man

Your Jazz bass with the single coils has a master series/parallel switch.

He has a point about running split coil pickup coils in parallel. It generally gives a very weak output, since you basically have half a pickup. Some people like it, however, so you can try it both ways.
  5. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Well, thank you for the input but I've allready tried and I like it!

It's not that weak... IMHO and the Tone is usefull!

I just want to know how to make a push/pull pot do what I want it to do!
  6. line6man

line6man

Just rotate the switch wiring 180 degrees from what is shown in the diagram.
  7. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

So regarding connections... up is down, down is up and the middle is the same to achieve what I'm after?
    :ninja:
  8. line6man

line6man

Becomes