Model P-> BG250. Enough treble?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by J03YW, Dec 4, 2012.

1. J03YW

J03YW

Hey, I just got my (wonderful) BG250 in the mail for metal, and I've mostly been using a lightly driven & compressed middy as hell signal, but I recently discovered that the guitarists I intend to play with also use a ton of mids. It just so happens that I'm getting a PBass for christmas and I'm slapping some Dimarzio Model P's and 500k pots with series/parallel switch as well as some rotosound swing 66s. My plan is to take advantage of this and use Entwistle's scooped and driven sound on some metal and see how this sounds, but there's one issue. I want to know if Model P's (along with the other modifications) will produce enough highs so that my BG250 will have a good treble response. As some of you may know, this amp's treble knob is very subtle unless you have a really hot, preferably active pickup with new strings. Again, do you think all those changes (to a stock Squier CV 60's Pbass) would do the trick? My current Dean Edge doesn't do that so well.
  2. soulman969

soulman969

I think it's gonna be hard to tell until you try it in that environment you play in with those other guitars. You're correct about the BG250 not being what I would exactly call "treble heavy" and the crossover for the tweeter is set quite high intentionally. Personally I like it that way but it may be less suitable than an adjustable for your purposes.

I don't play metal so when faced with a mid heavy guitar mix my route is to get under it and that's something my PBass modified as it is and my BG250 can do very well. The amp itself tends to feature more of a punchy low mid tonality and a rounder bottom end than it does screaming grinding highs but then again that's not what I go looking for so who knows what you'll find with some experimentation. The Tube Drive and Tone Print offer some options that might enhance that.

It sounds like you're doing what you can to brighten up the PBass with those 500k pots, some Roto Stainless 66s and the DiMarzios. Running in parallel should thin out the tone, add some mids and get you a punchier tone as well. So it sounds like you're on the right track.

Maybe some of the guys who are playing your musical genre will have some other ideas for you. I think we'll all be interested in your results so let us know how your quest for more high end works out with that combination of stuff.

What your doing with the bass