1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Model P pickups

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by bassfart, Feb 3, 2013.

1. bassfart

bassfart Gold Supporting Member

Hey Justin, just wondering if you used these pickups in any of your P basses and if you do, what do you like about them?
  2. bassfart

I meant the Dimarzio Model P
  3. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

I have (in a parts P), for the price, not sure you can do better. Fat tone, and beautiful mids....

Good luck!

EDIT: I see this question wasn't for me, so my apologies....Still a great P pickup!
  4. bassfart

Thanks gidbass for your input, any and all is welcome.
  5. bobm2112

bobm2112 Supporting Member

I have had Dimarzio P's in all my P'basses. I love them to death.
  6. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

Man, I'll bet their great. Always wanted to try one. I have one of those new Aguilar P-pickups that they gave me at NAMM, so that'll be the next one I'll try...from all accounts they're pretty delicious. But someday I see one of those DiMarzio's in my future too.
  7. bassfart

I have the Aguilar P pickup right now and it does RULE, but I have always been curious about the Model P. I here Aguilar is putting out a HOT P bass pickup, I'd be interested in trying that one out as well.
  8. jbiscuti

jbiscuti Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Grolsch Strap Locks
    My #1 bass, a Road Worn P, has a late 70's cream-cover DiMarzio Model P. It just does not get any better! I want them in all my basses. In fact, I'm working on that... :)
  9. morehorn

morehorn

I threw one in my old squier P and could not be happier. its one of my 2 or 3 must bring basses to recording sessions. I will say that you sacrifice a little bit of air and evenness but it was the perfect compliment to my particular squier's thinned-out high-mid-heavy natural sound. a good thick cutting rock tone. personally i prefer it with rounds; might be a bit dark for flats.
  10. skulletwhip

skulletwhip

I have an old Ibanez Roadstar that has a 70's Dimarzio in it. From what I read, those kinda became the Model P. If that is the case, they rock.
  11. micahbell

micahbell

Disclosures:
    Sales: Gerg's Music
    Off topic from OP, but by "new" do you mean the hot ones?

I got their PJ set a while ago and am extremely happy with it