modern cars are rubbish?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Icey101, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Icey101

Icey101

i've got a late model subaru, its had idle issues for the last 6months, its out of warranty. If i push the clutch in as i roll up to the lights in gear and let the thing coast, the idle goes up and down like some cycle between 800 to 1500 rpm. When i roll up and stop, the idle settles back down. I did a bit of research and found that the ECU needs reseting. So you pull the battery lead off for 15 min, then back on and let it idle for 15min etc. This in theory resets the ECU. Why the hell do you need to do this? i have no idea but it seemed to work. I wonder how many people have shelled out money to take their cars back to the factory to get fixed when this has happened. To me its the modern car rip off where technology creates rubbish that needs to be specially tuned and fixed by the authorised mechanic. Give me a carb, points and the good old days anytime

2. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Man, I'm sorry you had a problem. But to the rest of the ENTIRE PLANET Subaru cars are known to be some of the most reliable (almost bullet proof) forms of transportation available. I think your standards are a bit high. There is no perfect science. The advances electronics that have IMPROVED cars are too many to list. Yes, I love classic cars as much as the next guy. But if a modern era Subaru had rolled off the line in 1965, it would have quickly become the best selling car ever. Nearly EVERY aspect of cars have improved by some sort of electronic advancement.

3. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Seems like an easy fix, why are complaining?

4. elgecko

elgecko

Most computers needs a reboot every now and again.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

Cars are cheaper, better on gas, faster, better equiped, safer and more reliable than ever.
    Why are you complaining again?

If you think older cars were better built, you have short memory. You don't remember cars refusing to run in the morning, flat tires to fix all the time or leaky oil tank.

7. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Go to a major auto parts store and have it scanned. Guessing will get you absolutely nowhere.

What you did may have cleared the stored codes but it didn't "reboot" the ECM. That requires a diagnostic computer and the correct command(s).

Your version of the EPA tells car manufacturers what the gas will contain and Congress mandates fuel economy. A carb won't hit the numbers and they can't be set to handle the BS gas formulations they force on us. There's so much going on with the computer that a carb can't possibly do- look into this, sometime.

8. darius8

darius8

9. hbarcat

hbarcat

I'm as fond of classic "carbed" cars as anyone but they are ancient technology and absolutely incapable of usefully working in today's high performance cars. Computer controlled fuel and spark easily makes modern engines produce twice the power, using half the fuel and eliminating more than 99% of pollutants.

Additionally, on board diagnostics (OBD) can usually pinpoint the source of any problem just by plugging a handheld scanner into the wiring harness.

And a mechanical distributor with points and vacuum advance? Screw that.

10. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    My local Auto Zone will scan my car, tell me the diagnosis, give me advice on whether I can fix it myself or not, and sell me the parts if needed.

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've been very happy with all the Japanese cars I've owned (Toyota, Honda, Lexus), maybe a dozen of them. I think my ex-Sequoia and ex-Venza were built in the U.S., but they still didn't suck. Now the couple of Mercedes I owned sucked more, but still not too bad. I haven't owned an American car since 1971. That Vega really soured me.

12. Gopherbassist

Gopherbassist

What year/model was the Honda? I need a new car, and my '87 Accord was pretty much unstoppable until user error took it off the road. I'm thinking about getting another, but I'm always worried about reliability. What was your experience, in more detail? If you don't mind.

13. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Supporting Member

I wouldn't put any faith in their "diagnosis." Those guys have enough trouble looking up parts let alone interpreting what a code reader is telling them. I can't begin to tell you the number of cars I've had in the shop that have been filled full of shiny new Vato Zone parts and the check engine light was still on. Vato zone subscribes to the "pull code, install part" method of diagnosis.

Naturally, when I want to charge for proper diagnosis I'm the crook.

14. ZeroSymbolic

ZeroSymbolic

92' Lincoln Mark VII mechanically perfect.

15. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I don't see the problem. The OP knows the car has a computer, and he reset it with no cost.

Cars last longer, have more power per cubic inch, run cleaner, are quieter and safer than they have ever been. Points and condenser are a complete pain in the ass, and I've changed many of them. They last only a few thousand miles and are prone to failure. Modern ignition systems are VASTLY SUPERIOR.

There's no reason to complain.

16. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    I'm always cautious. This guy has generally been on the money about what's wrong with my cars. He's usually to be found in the parking lot going from car to car. I always supplement his theory with my own research, and since I rarely do my own repairs any more, the car typically ends up at the mechanic's anyway.

On one occasion, his diagnosis led me to a service bulletin that got me an out-of-warranty repair for free at the dealer's.

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    '84 Accord LX, '86 Prelude, '87 Accord EX. No problems with any of them. Between Honda and Toyota, you won't find many more reliable cars.

18. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

I have an '89 Toyota Supra. The thing has lasted forever, but it has an electrical issue that makes the headlights prone to turn off at random (no one has been able to find the exact issue for why this happens in a decade of trying), as well as several other mechanical issues. It's reliable in the sense that it runs, but I wouldn't consider it a reliably safe car, either.

19. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Of course you do realize you could hotwire those things right to the battery and wire a switch to your dash to turn them on and off, right? That would completely bypass whatever is causing them to short out. Before I spent a decade trying to figure out the problem, I would skip the problem and come up with a solution.

20. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Sure, but I haven't driven the car since I turned 17, either ;)

21. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

+1. Today's cars ride better, rust less, are more reliable, faster and more efficient than ever. They cost more but they last longer-150,000 miles and beyond today is normal.