1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Modern country-

Discussion in 'Tablature [BG]' started by Zephrant, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Zephrant

Zephrant

I want to eventually join a modern country band (mostly '90s and newer, but would like some classics too). I'm having a hard time finding recent tabs. Of the 30+ songs I looked up on songster, I found one useable bass tab. I'll be working on "Start a band" tonight, which is oddly appropriate as my first country song.

Other than tabbing it myself, which is well beyond my current abilities, does anyone know of any good books or other sources?

Thanks-

2. jeepin_jer1

jeepin_jer1

3. Zephrant

Zephrant

Thank you so much! I've got my cut out for myself now.

4. terranova

terranova

Hi Zephrant

I have started transcribing songs, Have a few country up. Just did a dead easy classic She's Gone Gone Gone ( think its based on little brown jug ). There is also a version of Mama Tried up under transcriptions. My blog is a work in progress so any feedback to make the blog better is appreciated.

Check out the pdfs here.

http://68robr.wordpress.com

http://68robr.wordpress.com/transcriptions/

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Zephrant

Zephrant

Great, that really helps. Once I see the tabs, I can hear the part better in the song. Good for ear training...

Thanks!

7. TDee

TDee

Hey Zephrant

I'm in a modern country cover band right now as well. I could probably help you out on some stuff you might be stuck on, if it's something we're covering anyway. I wouldn't be able to provide you anything nearly as exact as Jeepin_jer writes up, but I could help point you in the right direction maybe.

My main approach since bass tabs are hard to come by for country is to find a chord sheet for guitar and work from there. If you know major and minor scales, you should be able to work out the baseline. Another thing I do is watch others play the tunes on Youtube. Sometimes there are videos of just bass covers, sometimes I watch other cover bands, and sometimes I watch live performances. I've noticed on a few songs, specifically Point At You and Chillin It, that the bass line on the record is not always what the live performer is playing. In fact sometimes quite different.

8. Zephrant

Zephrant

Thanks a lot- the tabs already posted are great, and are keeping me busy for now. I'm already looking for a country band to join, but slim pickins I fear.

Went to a open mic last night in Coeur d'Alene- not a single country song played, but they did some classic rock at least. From the poster, they have a country band on Monday nights, so may head back down next week. It was a nice little bar with terrible acoustics, right in the rec area of a tourist town.

My ideal would be to find someone I could apprentice under- I'd happily schlep gear and fetch drinks if I could get some practice time with a good group.

Thanks a lot for the offer of help- I'm hoping that by the time I learn what is already posted, I can start creating my ewn too.