1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Modern Mini Head Help

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Figjam, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Figjam

Figjam

Hey all

Its been a while since I was in the modern-tone amp game. I used to play an Epifani PS600/UL310. Lately I have been using a Peavey Mark IV/Peavey 215 or Mark IV/several Ampeg AV210's with a VT bass pedal for dirt.

The dirty tone is for a metal/sludge thing.

I am looking to get back into home practice with a modern tone. Its been calling me for a while, just for something ELSE. Long story short, I am playing guitar in my band now and no longer need to really practice or write bass in a metal sense. I wouldn't mind spending some time playing some melodic solo bass stuff once again.

I do like the EBS Marcus Miller tone, but that is not at all exactly what I am going for. I will be using the head with one single Ampeg 210. Looking for 300 watts or less. I dont mind a hybrid tone or solid state tone. Not looking for all tube for this one.

Any suggestions welcome. Thanks. Budget would be up to $400 used.

I would be using a PJ bass or old Ibanez RB850.

2. basskal77

basskal77

I will definitely look for one of these:
    Eden WTX 264
    Aguilar TH350
    EBS Reidmar
    You should be able to find these used easily..

3. el murdoque

el murdoque

+1 on the Tonehammer.
    I came there from the Peavey Mark IV and it took me a few sessions to really understand the dynamics of the tonal shaping which is much more complex than on the mark IV even though there are a lot less knobs to tinker with.
    The sound is warm and smooth, no harsh highs, but still has a modern touch. It offers more than 300W, but you don't need to dime the master and you're fine. It's tiny and light.

4. orangejulius3

orangejulius3

GK MB200
    One of the better investments I've made so far.
    2 lbs. 200w D.I. AUX in

After a studio rehearsal and recording at my guitarist house without a cab, both my guitarist and keyboard player are now looking to purchase the same amp since they dabble in bass a little. They were sold on this unit when they heard my recorded bass lines.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dalkowski

dalkowski

Very happy with this head running into an Ampeg AV210, seasoned with VT Bass.

7. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Yup, something GK for sure. The MB200 is tiny and sounds great.

You could also grab an 800RB for your budget and be able to use it for basically anything, including your metal band.

8. edencab

edencab

Traynor SB200h puts out great tone and volume

[​IMG]

[​IMG]