1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Modern Player Jaguar General Info

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Bobster, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Bobster

Bobster

Hi,

I got one of these a short time ago and just wanted to share some things I've seen about them, in case anyone needs it.

1. The nut is the lowest quality piece of hardware on the instrument. In my case, mine definitely needed work.

2. The finish on the neck is really thick. Be sure to score the edge of both sides of the nut if you plan to remove/replace it.

3. The nut channel is cut flat with no curve. I was easily able to use a file and flattened the bottom of a Tusq Jazz Bass nut (PQ-1214-00) to fit. I also had to take a very small amount off each side because of length overhang. Nut width was fine.

4. The "J" pickup route near the bridge is a standard Fender-sized bridge route. So, get a "bridge" width pickup if you plan to upgrade here.

5. The "P" pickup has a good overall tone and a high output. So far, I haven't seen the need to change it.

6. The control plate size is standard Fender size.

7. WD Music has a template for pickguard replacements. They call it model "JGB-1003". Just email them and let them know what you want. Virgil runs the pickguard section.

8. Tuners are standard size.

If you have any other questions, post here and I'll try to answer.

Bob

2. PeterF

PeterF Supporting Member

If so, how did it sound? Much change over stock setup?

3. Bobster

Bobster

I hadn't mentioned it, but the J pickup is in the 70's position. The DP148 is deeper than a standard single coil jazz pickup.

As to how it sounds, I am really happy with it. It does a very good P sound. I'm happy with the J soloed and I really like the two blended.

I have DiAddario ultra light flats (ECB80) .040 - .095 installed (first time I've used them) and I'm really happy with the whole package.

Bob

4. coddiaz11

coddiaz11

what are the frets like? do they buzz on the high notes? and what about the brass bridge saddles are they actually good? and what do u think about replacing the nut with a brass one?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bobster

Bobster

On mine, the frets are very good. My action is as low as I like it and I don't feel the need to do any work there. The bridge saddles work well. I don't know if they make any difference in sound.

As to the nut, if you prefer a brass nut, it don't that would be a problem. I'm quite happy with the Tusq nut I installed and don't feel the need for a change.

Bob.

7. coddiaz11

coddiaz11

thanks man!