1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Modern Trace Elliot question

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Gonzo476, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Gonzo476

Gonzo476

After trying to purchase a vintage Trace preamp (seller decided he wanted to keep it) I've decided I'm going to start saving for one of the new heads. In this video the guy from Trace mentions that the heads have a tube between the output and the power section (?) that really warms up the tone. I tried contacting Trace to see if all of their heads have this feature, but I've received no answer. Does anyone know if all the new amps share this feature or if it is exclusive of the 12 band range?
  2. Merton

Merton

I believe it's exclusive to the 12-band range
  3. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    All Trace Elliot pre amps I ever remember had a 12ax7 tube the the pre amp. The bloke that designed the trace pre also designed the ashdown
    Pre amp, which I like a bit more than my old SMX, it's simpler to use
    once you get the designers idea, a good warm tone can be got on the EVO 15" combo I have as a bed side table.
    But for me the Trace Elliot amps that were totally amazing were the V range most notably the almighty V8. Ooohyes that's gota bit more tubeage than one in the pre amp, it's got 8 KT88's in the power amp. Be afraid, be very afraid.:bassist:
  4. Gonzo476

Gonzo476

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    No, it does not say that. It says it has a tube as a "driver" for "pre conditioning" the signal, but those are just different ways of saying preamp stage.
  6. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    In ancient times of the last millennia, in the county of Essex nearby the Castle of Heddingham were lived the evil Barron De Vere, Tis said,"There was a time when the legendary Trace Eliott amplifiers were wrought from the flame and hand fettled against the slightly oily inner thighs of morally challenged local girls", Oh well I remember!.:D
    I was but a humble serf that did serve those masters well but they conspired against the many and ran off to foreign lands leaving those poor Essex girls forlorn and destitute, to be thrown on the mercy of the workhouse or perish!.
    Damn their eyes!:bag: