Modify a hard case pocket to fit?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Zephrant, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Zephrant

Zephrant

I picked up a Peavey hard case (used) that was supposed to fit my Peavy BXP, but it doesn't fit. It is made of white styrofoam, with a fur cover.

Has anyone modified one to fit their bass, and how did you do it?

2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I've seen threads where it was done. I think if you run some searches on TB with various search words you will find some help.

Here's what I recall from memory, and probably not complete.

Remove the case contents, lay the bass in place and create a template, cut styrofoam or other material to fit and glue it lightly in place. You may want a light layer of foam rubber between the back of the instrument and the case. Re-install everything with new fabric, tack-glue in the new fabric. The "Tacky Glue" you find in craft stores (bronze plastic squeeze bottle) actually works pretty well for the fabric. Contact cement will discolor fabric.

You might get away with just tucking in the fabric around the edges of the case, but getting it to fit the depression for the bass body will take time...it will bunch up where it goes into corners.

Try a Google search for "re-do the interior of a guitar case" and you will find some helpful links. I found this one:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_8696162_glue-fabric-guitar-case.html

3. Zephrant

Zephrant

Thanks, that page helped, and led to another one too. I think I'll tear it apart and see what I find.

4. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

At worst you could lay a piece of plastic in your gutted case with your bass in the position you want it, then shoot a gob of some expanding foam under the plastic. Make some type of cover for the bottom half of the case to keep the foam from pushing up too far and once it cures, cover the foam with crushed velvet fabric and you are golden.

5. Register to disable this ad