Modify Fender jazz headstock

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lukiluk, Feb 19, 2014.

1. lukiluk

lukiluk

Hello everyone...
    I recently bought a Fender Jazz Deluxe 5 strings Mexico .. Sounds really good (I had the American cousin to 5 cirde) and I immediately felt at home ... The only thing I really can not stand is the headstock with the five keys in a row .. Really bad ..
    Now I ask .. I can change it to make it equal to the new jazz 5-string, with the keys 4 +1 without going to affect on the sound or possible dead spots?
    The shape looks the same to me ..
    Or I should I point to change the handle, maybe Warmoth?
  2. mrmills

mrmills

Changing to a 4 + 1 setup should not change the sound.
  3. Bassman Ski

Bassman Ski Supporting Member

You said you got it "recently" ... How recent? I mean, long enough to where you should have liked it by now or do you still have time for it to "grow" on you?
  4. lukiluk

lukiluk

Recently mean by a month .. I picked it because it sounds really good, but I do not like the headstock .. For just an aesthetic reason
  5. Avezzano

Avezzano

let it alone: your eye will adapt soon! And remember that messing with it means highly decreasing the resale value!!!!

:)
  6. lukiluk

lukiluk

Hai ragione Avezzano :)
  7. Roger de Flor

Roger de Flor

I actually prefer the 5 in a row over 4+1.:cool:
  8. Avezzano

Avezzano

:) I prefer myself the 4+1 over the 5 in line, you know!?!?!

But if the instrument was born like that, leaving it as it is just makes some real sense! It sort of "characterise" it!!!

For a long time Fender kept the 5 in line; then all of a sudden they switched to the 4+1 (1998?) so your bass actually is a piece of history by itself and you should even be quite... "proud" of your in line headstock!!!!

:) V.
  9. ejaggers

ejaggers Supporting Member

I guess it's a matter of taste because I'm exclusively a 4 string player, and basses with 3+1 just look down right wrong to me. And it bugs me so much, that I wouldn't buy one. That said, I'd change it if it were me, but I don't resell basses anyway, so I go for what pleases me. On the other hand, I'm strongly against mutilating a vintage bass in good shape. But poor shape vintage is fare game.

10. EagleMoon

EagleMoon Supporting Member

You could certainly buy a replacement neck to put on it. Down the road if you want to sell it you could put the original neck back on and sell the replacement neck.
  11. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

I prefer the 4+1 over my 5 in a row config too, but it's not that big of a deal to me.. but hey, it's your money if that's what you want.