Modifying the setup of my Warwick

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by amper, Feb 17, 2014.

1. amper

amper

This might make for sense if I tell up first that my Warwick Corvette Proline is a 30" short scale fretless that I string with 4/4 cello strings and tune as a cello. That said, I have been noodling around on it for a couple of days, trying to finally wrap my head around this instrument I paid a lot of money for and which has mostly sat in its case for 11 years, and I discovered something. I'm posting this here, because it might be interesting to some people.

Interesting. I was watching the Break of Reality cover of the Game of Thrones theme again, watching Laura Metcalf's fingering, and I notice she plays the main theme on the A string. It's a very large jump from the 10th position to the 3rd position, but she seems to span it relatively easily.

Now, my instrument nominally has a 30" scale length, which is 2.5" longer than a 4/4 cello, making the jump 8.39", where on a 27.5" cello, it's 7.69", but then I just measured the actual scale length of my instrument, and it measures slightly less than 31", making the jump even wider. Measuring 27.5" from the nut would put the bridge in between the two pickups.

I may consider some modifications to this instrument in the interests of playability. A low height wooden jazz guitar bridge might work, especially if I tilt the neck back a bit and/or remove the bridge pieces.

[​IMG]

2. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

Wait... are you seriously talking about making a major modification to a guitar so you can play one particular song? If you dislike the instrument that much, why don't you just sell it and buy something you like?

3. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

It's quite an easy 2 step process

1. Sell Warwick
    2. Buy cello.