Modular Amp Setup

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bassburner, Feb 17, 2014.

1. bassburner

bassburner

Media:
    Albums:
    Sorry if this has been asked by searching was giving me nothing about specifics.

I'd like to have a setup with two 4x10s in which I can use one or both of them. However, getting an amp powerful enough to drive both would be too powerful to run only one. For example, the 4x10s would be 500W and the head would be 1000W. No if this is acceptable because I'm misunderstanding all this stuff than the rest of this message is moot.

The options I see are:

1) Something like the Hartke LH1000 which can has the option of two 500W channels or one bridged 1000W. Although this doesn't seem to be a common option so I'm skeptical of it.

2) A stereo powered amp with a preamp.

3) The GK series with the powered MBP cab. Nice idea but the most expensive of the options.

4) Two combo amps since I already have one. Although, it's only 200W. Seems like the weirdest and most inconvenient.

Right now I'm leaning towards the stereo powered amp like a Crown XLS 1500 because of the added bonus of having a back up channel for monitors or worse case scenario putting the PA into the main PA if there's a hardware failure and just running direct through the PA.

The other option I was considering since I have the Acoustic B200, which I love regardless of its cheapness, is to get the Acoustic 800W stack. However, it looks like the head is built into that case and if I'm going to get a rack then I want to be able to hook it up with other things like a tuner, power conditioner, etc in one case. Anyone know if the Acoustic head can be easily removed from the case it comes in?
  2. Cirk

Cirk

Get the amp powerful enough to drive 2 cabinets. When only using one, turn it down. If you hear your speakers farting out, it's too loud.
  3. BruceWane

BruceWane

An amp is only "too powerful" if you're careless with your volume knob.

You can run a 5000 watt amplifier into a 100 watt speaker as long as you're careful to listen for any sign of distortion from the speaker and back off the volume as needed.
  4. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Figure out what cab you want to use. Then figure out what cab you like the sound of. Then add as many of those cabs as you need to get the volume you need.

For me. That would be something like the new Peavey MiniMega 1000 and a pair of 12/6/1's.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Then match the amp(s) to the power needed to get that volume. Get amp(s, or a preamp) that has a Volume knob for those times when you don't need as much.