Modular cabinet for shuttlemax&streamliner

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by j0616bass, Dec 8, 2013.

1. j0616bass

j0616bass

My current rig is a Shuttlemax 9.2 through a GB neox 212 (the older model). I really like the tone. I tend to turn the tweeter completely off. I want to go modular because some smaller venues that I play I just don't need that much cabinet, and in larger venues (think spralling sports bars) my cab is plenty loud on stage but has trouble filling the room and I think I need to push some more air. I tend to like more vintage tone with a tad more on top, but not hi-fi. What are some good options?

I also have a Streamliner on the way just to try something different, so optimally I'd like something that would go well with that too.

Whataya think TB?
  2. Swizzledoop

Swizzledoop Supporting Member

Another Neox?
  3. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

How about a 112/115 modular stack? 112 for small gigs all the way up to 112/115 for big gigs.

Mesa/GK/Baer/BFM/Greenboy Bassic?
  4. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone
    if you like your Neox 212 sound then two get Genz NX2-112T cabs and sell your 212.. the Genz NX2-112T are basically 1/2 a neox 212 http://www.genzbenz.com/?fa=detail&mid=2910&sid=725&cid=96

They are light .. like a box of air... I did an AB with it and my old Bergantino HT112 ER>.. I like the Genz more and sold teh berg... the Genz was punchier and had equal bottom end and smooth top.. Thats what i would do...
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. agedhorse

agedhorse Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Supporting Member

The neox 112 was designed from the beginning as part of a modular solution. You might find somebody here who would trade +/- some $ for a 212.

The same applies to the shuttle cabinets and I'm sure there are corresponding examples in other manufacturers lines if you look. The important thing is that each cabinet's rated impedance is 8 ohms.
  7. j0616bass

j0616bass

Thanks for the replies! In regards to running two 8 ohm 112 neox cabs (making a 4 ohm load obviously), would the power handling be approximately the same as my 212?
  8. agedhorse

Yes, virtually identical.
  9. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

I would just buy another 212 exactly like the one you have - I don't get the "too much" comment, as you have a volume knob, and those 212s have the same footprint as the 112, and are very easy/light to move... Also, unless you use some sort of stand, a single 112 will be much further from your ears than a 212 - so, in practice it might seem like "less than 1/2" of what you have now, for a couple of reasons...

So, use your volume knob for smaller venues, and double your speakers for bigger ones...

- georgestrings
  10. agedhorse

A second 212 would put him at 2 ohms which his amp (Max 9.2) is not rated for. If he had a Max 12.2, then that would be the ideal solution if the overall size and weight was acceptable.
  11. j0616bass

j0616bass

I've always wondered about that...good to know.

Side note - I gigged with a Streamliner last night and really dug it!
  12. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

Thanks for the correction - for some reason, I thought those 212s were 8 ohm... I'd definitely like to add one of them to my modest cab collection...

- georgestrings